Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gorilla Carts

More questions on your drip tape.

I'm thinking that because the water flow is drip, drip, drip, that I don't need to worry so much about water pressure making it to the end of the lines. The system I have now, I can only water in zones because to try and water everything, the pressure just isn't there.

I'm also assuming that this system accept the standard 3/4" hose thread so I can run a standard hose out to the main line and from there I can start the laterals.
    I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    More questions on your drip tape.

I'm thinking that because the water flow is drip, drip, drip, that I don't need to worry so much about water pressure making it to the end of the lines. The system I have now, I can only water in zones because to try and water everything, the pressure just isn't there.

I'm also assuming that this system accept the standard 3/4" hose thread so I can run a standard hose out to the main line and from there I can start the laterals.
    So two things you must have with a drip irrigation system are a filter and a pressure regulator in between your water source (hose or faucet) and your drip main line. Drip system components work at low pressure (generally capped at 25 psi), so unless your water pressure is already that low (or lower) the regulator is a must to keep from blowing things out. The filter is to prevent solid particles from getting into emitters and clogging them up, since they generally have very small orifices (yeah, I said "orifices"). You can implement those separately, but it's far more common to use the 2-in-1 combos that incorporate both functions into a single unit that accepts a hose connection at the input and then a fitting for drip poly main line on the output. One of the surprises I got when I ran 200 ft of hose from the bib on the garage out to where the garden is and put a pressure gauge on the end was that after all that distance I was still getting ~42 psi, which was significantly more than I expected. My original design called for 2 zones that I would switch between, but that proved to be unnecessary because that was more than adequate pressure for the system, which gets knocked down to 25 psi by the regulator anyway. This just means that you water for a lot longer than you would with a conventional watering system. I generally let mine go for about 3.5 hours in order to thoroughly soak the beds to a depth of several inches. As always, YMMV with your particular setup.

There are several good online tutorials on drip irrigation as well as more YT videos than you could stand. Here's just one website that does a good job of explaining things: https://www.irrigationtutorials.com/...arts-and-more/ Of course there are a lot of options available that won't be covered in any one tutorial, as well as some math you need to do when designing your system. But it's all pretty simple once you understand what's going on.
    Now don't go ninja-in' nobody that don't need ninja-in'.

~ Diemon Dave

Thanks, I never thought about those things. Coming from a well, it would have probably ruptured (I said rupture) something as well as clogging something up. I'll watch those videos and do my research. This all sounds really good. The slow drip deep watering is the recommended and the most efficient way.

Oops, thought I was posting in your retirement thread. I hope that this doesn't turn off all our viewers who were all set to talk about Gorilla carts and share their personal experiences. I hope Jamicka can forgive me.
    I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    Naw, I think I was remembering the Hawk Crawler, but I don't see a bike-capability from them these days. Maybe that was a fail on some level, or my faulty memory.

Some enterprising young whipperschnapper might be able to find an old post of mine on here about the subject and help us narrow down the possibilities...
    This appears to be a Crawler modified behind an e-bike. I can't blow up the image or examine it very well on my end.

If anyone wants to discuss this with me, please pay the appropriate hijacking toll to DP as OP (Dollars? -- Whiskey? --Female relatives?) -- Or start a separate thread, please.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12