Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddle Hunting

Does it?
    "Please, show me where it says protesters are supposed to be polite and peaceful." Chris Cuomo

"Our election was hijacked. There is no question. Congress has a duty to #ProtectOurDemocracy & #FollowTheFacts." Nancy Pelosi 2017

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    Does it?

Who says there's no great content on HuntingCountry.com ? ....

I'm seriously contemplating investing in a new pack system, which considering all the packs I already own is close to insane.

But I have almost always preferred internal frame packs for most of what I do. I've just never been even close to enthusiastic about carrying stands or weapons on them.

Because life has changed and I am probably going to be doing more hang-and-hunts, where I will not be completely pre-set as much as I have been in the past (steps are one thing, stands are another), I'm looking at external frame systems that might be better than my 1980's vintage relics for hauling gear ... LOL. I still use them for go-back-to-the-truck meat-hauling and the like, but for in-and-out EDC it's past time for an upgrade.

That's a long wind-up to pointing eastern saddle hunters toward the Kifaru Stryker, .22 Mag, and .44 Mag.

I wish I were getting a commission ...

Starting at the bottom of the capacity scale, but the theme remains consistent through the three:

(Cost and weight of frame not included.)

Would be interested in what you all think.

I'm kind of struck by the size of the main compartment in a lot of these packs including the one I bought last year, eberlestock X2

I really like the pack and am enjoying having a frame now. I just think they could make the main compartment larger. What would it hurt?

I don't think you could get a jacket in there.
    "Please, show me where it says protesters are supposed to be polite and peaceful." Chris Cuomo

"Our election was hijacked. There is no question. Congress has a duty to #ProtectOurDemocracy & #FollowTheFacts." Nancy Pelosi 2017

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

I'm with you. I like a larger bag as well. I don't have to deal with the cold that you do, but I am "cold-blooded" and like to bundle up. For my bulkiest cold-weather gear, I use the bedroll straps on the bottom of a bag for my jacket or coat. I can usually fit the other layers I need inside, say, a 2800 bag. Anything smaller than that won't work for me past about mid-October (mornings).

When I need to, I take a piece of rope and roll my outer gear in a cylinder shape and tie it up at either end and sling the rope over my shoulder and across my chest. Works great.

The newer cold weather base layers are more compact than what I used to use, too. Not sure there's any way around your outer layers being bulky, though.

If I was getting an Eberlestock, I'd be looking hard at this F1 Mainframe with the batwing pouches. Only thing that is keeping me from packs like these is the waist band will interfere with the saddle when wearing it in.

The 2 dump pouches I have on my saddle would have to be moved to the waistband of the pack and I'm not sure I really want to do that. The nicest part of the CAYS pack is they have moved the waist band higher so it doesn't interfere with the saddle when you wear it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    Would be interested in what you all think.

$600.00 for the bag and frame. I fold, I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2bowhunt View Post

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

If I was getting an Eberlestock, I'd be looking hard at this F1 Mainframe with the batwing pouches. Only thing that is keeping me from packs like these is the waist band will interfere with the saddle when wearing it in.

The 2 dump pouches I have on my saddle would have to be moved to the waistband of the pack and I'm not sure I really want to do that. The nicest part of the CAYS pack is they have moved the waist band higher so it doesn't interfere with the saddle when you wear it in.

Thanks for the video. That set-up has a lot of potential.

I don't understand the desire to wear a saddle in and out. (Well, I do, but you know what I mean.) If sweat and sag is not a problem, okay. But sweat is an issue here, and who wants to even have to think about sag? Buy the saddle you like and rig it the way you want to. The longer and tougher the hump, the more the saddle should come off your butt and go in the pack.

Change my mind.

I think it'd look great with your $3,500 bicycle.

(That's not a dig, BTW...I'm contemplating getting one at some point myself.)
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Touche....

Insert your own umlaut.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast