Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: PA Public Land Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by crookedeye View Post
    i would like to see that too..maybe some video and narrating..
    LOL, maybe I could post a TikTok video of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    Seems like there should be a way to not be crammed up against the tree with your knees at a bad angle, but I think it's a platform, which kinda defeats the idea of a lightweight system, especially if you climb with sticks you carry in each time.
    Not really. You need some kind of a platform or ring of steps. I went with the Out On A Limb Ridge Runner. Weighs 4 lbs with the strap, added to my 6lbs of sticks is still only 10 lbs. It's big enough to stand on too, which is nice for taking a short break from the saddle, make a strap or bridge adjustment, or to turn and shoot from the weak side.

I've found there is a bunch of things to do to slightly change your position so you're not putting too much pressure on any one part of your anatomy. The leaning/standing position is by far the most comfortable for me so far. Your weight is distributed across your butt, feet, and back with the back strap on. A nice balance that feels comfortable for long stretches.

Tethrd just came out with an 18 1/2" stick that weighs just under 1 lb/each. They're not cheap, but 5 of those with an aider would be the ticket I think. That would save another lb and in certain setups, you might only need 4 sticks.

See, there's the problem. At 10 pounds without the weight of the saddle, ropes and related gear, I might as well bring a 12-or 13-pound climber from the good old days, or pre-set my stands.

The other problem is that I want to be much higher in the tree than I see most saddle hunters hunting. I enjoy the internet crowing about getting 20 feet high with four sticks (10 pounds). Good on ya. jack, but I'm going up to the second floor. ... My sets are 5 or 6 "stick" sets minimum, and at that point you have left the realm of lightweight hunting, even using aiders. I think you're back to lag bolts and boot spikes and all that old-school stuff.

I don't have a problem with saddle hunting, I just have a problem with the way it's presented as a light-weight mobile system when using sticks. I've been hunting out of a rock climbing harness for a considerable time. I've surfed the tree doctor sites for years, LOL. I'm a fan of tree sticks, just not of carrying them in and out every day while saying I'm hunting "mobile" and "lightweight".

From the land where the woods are flat and "It's not the heat it's the humidity," I bid you Good Day, sir, and realize your experience may vary.

See, there's the problem. At 10 pounds without the weight of the saddle, ropes and related gear, I might as well bring a 12-or 13-pound climber from the good old days, or pre-set my stands.

The other problem is that I want to be much higher in the tree than I see most saddle hunters hunting. I enjoy the internet crowing about getting 20 feet high with four sticks (10 pounds). Good on ya. jack, but I'm going up to the second floor. ... My sets are 5 or 6 "stick" sets minimum, and at that point you have left the realm of lightweight hunting, even using aiders. I think you're back to lag bolts and boot spikes and all that old-school stuff.

I don't have a problem with saddle hunting, I just have a problem with the way it's presented as a light-weight mobile system when using sticks. I've been hunting out of a rock climbing harness for a considerable time. I've surfed the tree doctor sites for years, LOL. I'm a fan of tree sticks, just not of carrying them in and out every day while saying I'm hunting "mobile" and "lightweight".

The weight of the saddle and ropes is mostly cancelled out imo. I wear the saddle in and don't even notice it on, besides, the stand hunter also has to bring a safety harness and tree tether. Not a huge difference between the two.

The only climber I know of under 14 lbs is the X-Stand Climber. I checked it out years ago, thought I'd buy one, but after handling it I decided it looked like a piece of junk. The Lone Wolf Assault weighs 14.7 lbs, the Summit Open Shot and the Muddy Stalker both weigh 15 lbs., and the API Bowhunter I have is pushing 20 lbs.

So I don't see a climber being as lightweight and I also don't have to find a telephone pole to hunt out of like you do with a climber. I prefer trees with branches and cover, which is why I got away from climbers in the first place and started using hang-on stands. I can tell you from my hunts so far, the sticks and platform are much easier to carrier in than a climber and much lighter too.

As far as climbing height, that's your preference. Again, finding a tree that offers cover at 18 feet has worked well for me. I'm much more worried about cover than height. I'll leave the nose bleed elevation to you, make sure you tie yourself off while going up and down from that height. Might want to bring some oxygen along too.

But I will remind you, I never tried to talk anyone on here into saddle hunting. I just mentioned I was giving it a go this year. If it's not for someone else I get it. Heaven knows it ain't cheap. I was going to post a thread about it but I think I'll pass. Probably just going to backfire on me anyway.

To each his own, you do you, and I'll do me.

Boo, hiss.

No, you should put a thread on here about it. I'm interested. I'm just giving you my point of view as it stands at the moment. I'm not arguing against your choice.

I have some old climbers that would go 13 pounds or under, but I understand the telephone pole thing. I know there are some sticks and aiders that would total under 2.5 # per section. I get it that the saddle and attachment gear might equal or even be less than the harness of a traditional treestand hunter with a three-point system. I'll point out that 18 feet up puts you directly in a deer's line of sight as it approaches in many/most places here, and the "cover" doesn't begin for six or seven (or more) feet in many cases.

So I'm interested in anything anyone who has the smarts and the pioneering spirit to optimize the system has to say.

I think the saddle idea is probably very useful for a lot of guys. I'm just looking for it to get to the next level.

I want to see where you're starting from and where you'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2bowhunt View Post
    I was going to post a thread about it but I think I'll pass. Probably just going to backfire on me anyway.

To each his own, you do you, and I'll do me.

Boo, hiss.

Don't make *ME* start a saddle thread .... LOL

Greetings!

We are reaching out to all of our customer who have purchased the Sterling OpLux 8mm Tactical line.
    There have been failures of this line & accidents when people have attempted to use it as a Climbing Line.

THIS IS NOT A CLIMBING LINE.
    It is not rated for a climbing line.

This is intended for repelling [sic], or as a tether, etc.

WesSpur has pulled the item from our website at this time to conduct testing on the product.

If you have ANY questions, please let us know and we will have you speak directly to our Arborist, Dave Stice.

LOL ...

CARRY ON.

This is directed at the same people who need to be reminded that shampoo is not intended for internal consumption.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

What about bleach? Asking for a friend.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

LOL ....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456