Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PA Public Land Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    I will corroborate what Luv3 said about moving mid-season. It works. At the very least it keeps optimism up as you are sitting in a brand new area and seeing new things. I think the tree saddle is a great idea, I just don't know about the comfort level.

Luv3, be sure and include some pics and maybe some text about how to set it up.

Will do, but no pics of me. Jon cured me of that. I did alot of research, watched every video about saddle hunting I could find on YouTube, making sure I picked what would be best for me. I settled on the Aerohunter Kestrel Flex.

So far been comfortable, but haven't put 4-5 hours straight in it. But then to tell you the truth, 4-5 hours in a hang on treestand ain't that comfortable either. My back always starts hurting at some point.

I will give you honest reviews, not crap like these political ads and Swampy that tell half truths.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2bowhunt View Post

I can't believe you think it is unrealistic to find a new spot during the season, set up there, and kill a buck. I've done it many times. With the saddle you can move around until you find some hot sign and setup. I can't tell you how many times I've been going into my pre-hung stand and crossed really fresh buck sign on the way, thinking I should have a stand right here, but I keep moving on to my stand because that's where I'm setup.

Sometimes it's tough since you may not have as many shooting lanes since you didn't prep the spot ahead of time. But when I killed the big one, I only had two holes for shooting lanes and he stepped into one of them. I'd rather be lucky than good I guess.
    That's retarded ... What you prolly *meant* to say is you'd rather be lucky AND good ... But don't let me put words in your mouth... LOL ...

I'll get back to you about what I meant by unrealistic (which may have been the wrong word, or one I need to put in more context) when I have more time.

In the meantime:

From experience, when I think about screwing steps into trees or setting climbing sticks or hauling in an extra climber on the fly, that's a lot of work and impact when you don't want a lot of work and impact. Remember that it doesn't take much to break a sweat until well after the rut here, even working in the dark.

I would like to be hunting thicker areas or on their edges in the first place, and the chances of me wandering through those areas in the daylight to discover and then set up on the hot spot whether by day or by night to kill a good buck are slim.

I'm inclined to save the information for next year, or to think in terms of setting up to hunt in 3 to 4 or more days, when conditions are in my favor and the disruption of setting up has faded.

Oh and duh .... Your point about shooting lanes is key. Unless you set up in daylight initially, you are almost guaranteed to have no clear shots with a bow here. What I mean is that successfully setting up "blind" ain't gonna work. If you set up in daylight you are still going to have to climb down and trim 90% of the time.

We ain't hunting old growth forest with no understory here ...

Quote Originally Posted by luv2bowhunt View Post
    Will do, but no pics of me. Jon cured me of that.
    I completely understand, though I am disappointed at the lost opportunities for meself ...

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    Oh and duh .... Your point about shooting lanes is key. Unless you set up in daylight initially, you are almost guaranteed to have no clear shots with a bow here. What I mean is that successfully setting up "blind" ain't gonna work. If you set up in daylight you are still going to have to climb down and trim 90% of the time.

We ain't hunting old growth forest with no understory here ...

Understood. Just to clarify I'm hunting overgrown clearcuts or on the edge of them, so I'm not dealing with open hardwoods either. Normally I'm set up to shoot 1 trail, that's the best you can hope for.

I'm still not believing there's no use for a tree saddle down there, when YouTube is filled with southern goobers using tree saddles.

Send pics of your normal hunting locations, not staged or hand picked spots to try and validate your point, like a Biden commercial. Maybe then I can think of a way to break you out of your perennial negativity.

Youtube is filled with Southern goobers generally. (Yes, it's capitalized.) Think of it as revenge.

I'm not claiming there's no use for [on the fly] saddle hunting here. It depends where you hunt. In the mountains, I can see it. Less understory; surrounding trees and the obstructions they present not so much of an issue; the weight and portability advantages ... yada yada yada.

You get in the rolling and the flat ground here, it's a different story. I'm convinced we need to get much higher than what you're used to [Free Bird!]---and/thus the natural shot opportunities are far fewer. More brush, vines, saplings, gators, snakes and possums and [General Lee] just a lot of SITW .

(Do you see what I did there? --- )

If you'd ever taken me up on any one of my invitations to hunt at any Camp Swampy you'd know what I'm talking about, but I understand your fear of having your throat cut and your wallet stolen if you cross the Mason-Dixon Line ...

It's not an unreasonable fear ... for you ...

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    If you'd ever taken me up on any one of my invitations to hunt at any Camp Swampy you'd know what I'm talking about, but I understand your fear of having your throat cut and your wallet stolen if you cross the Mason-Dixon Line ...
    Camp Swampy......yeah I remember..........that's where you almost killed my friend Floyd. He was never the same after that, still walks with a limp.

No thanks, I'm quite capable of killing myself on my own, don't need your help Tarheel.

Ouch ...

I have all my terrain and game cam pics on my little notebook. If I get a chance I'll go through there and see if there's anything informative.

I'm inclined to start a thread about building a saddle hunting rig from just all the old crap I have sitting around ... Out-of-production or specialty steps of various kinds; platforms from stands too tiny and/or seats too low to tolerate; never- or lightly used harnesses, ropes and carabiners (Oh my!) ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast