Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PA Public Land Survivor

PA Public Land Survivor

I wondered if he'd show up this year, didn't think he would, but he made it again. There was more hunting pressure last year than most.

This is the 3rd year I've gotten pics of this buck in the same bedding area. Just curious, how old do you think he is? He hasn't changed all that much in 3 years, just gotten a little heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2bowhunt View Post
    He hasn't changed all that much in 3 years, just gotten a little heavier.
    Are you talking about BULLZ-i?

I think that deer would have to be 6-7 years old. The 2018 picture looks like at least a three year old.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Yeah, I'm thinking he's older than 2 1/2 in 2018. He's a legend with me. 2 or 3 times he's gone by one of stands in daylight while I was hunting in a different one. Once he showed up at 12:30 PM when I left that stand at 12:00. Can't be a coincidence.

I am not hunting him, that would be a waste of my time. But if he happened to screw up and stroll by.......

BULLZ-i is also a legend.

I'm going with 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 absent a full body shot.

Kip getting PO'd, that's scarier than G-Man taking on BULLZ-ear.

I have a surprise waiting for this buck this year. I'm going mobile with a tree saddle, so he won't know where my stands are to avoid.....so there.

There is no way those things wouldn't make your butt and legs go to sleep.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Quote Originally Posted by luv2bowhunt View Post
    Kip getting PO'd, that's scarier than G-Man taking on BULLZ-ear.

I have a surprise waiting for this buck this year. I'm going mobile with a tree saddle, so he won't know where my stands are to avoid.....so there.

Kip doesn't even get PO'd .... He gets TO'd (lol) which is much less menacing, but not so cussy ... So he has that going for him, which is nice ...

Fill us in on the whole saddle thing. Chronicle as you go, perhaps.

I'm still skeptical. If you "pre-prep" your sites in the off- season, I don't see the benefit to anyone who owns multiple stands and puts them out ahead of time, unless you're putting them out where they are sure to get stolen, which kinda runs contrary to the whole "I found a great spot" narrative in the first place.

If you're climbing new trees and finding new ambushes during the season, that's a different story, but how realistic is that? Also, I defy anyone to exert any energy making a new set around here mid-season without stinking the place up. Maybe if you hunt in a huge walk-in refrigerator...

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but am trying to find a justification ...

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    There is no way those things wouldn't make your butt and legs go to sleep.
    I've been practicing, sat in it for an hour or so, haven't noticed that yet. Stay tuned, will be using it 10/3 Lord willing.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    If you're climbing new trees and finding new ambushes during the season, that's a different story, but how realistic is that? Also, I defy anyone to exert any energy making a new set around here mid-season without stinking the place up. Not trying to be a wet blanket, but am trying to find a justification ...
    You are, and always have been, a wet blanket. But seriously folks..........

After the last couple of seasons, setting stands, moving them, collecting them at the end, has worn me out. I had to try something less physically demanding. I believe the saddle helps me with that. Only 10 lbs to carry, and I can bounce wherever I need to.

I can't believe you think it is unrealistic to find a new spot during the season, set up there, and kill a buck. I've done it many times. With the saddle you can move around until you find some hot sign and setup. I can't tell you how many times I've been going into my pre-hung stand and crossed really fresh buck sign on the way, thinking I should have a stand right here, but I keep moving on to my stand because that's where I'm setup.

Sometimes it's tough since you may not have as many shooting lanes since you didn't prep the spot ahead of time. But when I killed the big one, I only had two holes for shooting lanes and he stepped into one of them. I'd rather be lucky than good I guess.

I will keep you posted with an honest review of what I like and dislike about it. I can tell you right now, being on the skinny side of things is going to help. I wouldn't try it if I was a 'big boned' person. I don't think we're allowed to say fat any more.

....or retarded. Can't say that either. I wonder if it's still in the dictionary?

I will corroborate what Luv3 said about moving mid-season. It works. At the very least it keeps optimism up as you are sitting in a brand new area and seeing new things. I think the tree saddle is a great idea, I just don't know about the comfort level.

Luv3, be sure and include some pics and maybe some text about how to set it up.
    Zombie Response Team

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast