Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Veggie gardens

Okra with the tomatoes has to be a good bit thicker, I would think.

I expect you'd smooth out a little bit of the acid taste as well.

It's worth a shot ....

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    Not sure, but I know that water freezes in there.
    Try getting it to around 0F (zero). The faster things freeze the less their cells rupture. It has to do with an inverse relationship between the speed of water freezing and the growth of ice crystals.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Don't know if this would work or not, but every year I harvest tomatos and stick them in the freezer till year end. That way I can make and can salsa with a large number of tomatoes.
    The freezing of the tomato breaks down the cell wall so it produces a lot of water when thawed. Therefore my salsa turns into more of a soup than a salsa. I've searched a lot of forums for the answer to this without anything concrete.
    Most people buy their tomatoes in a large quantity and can them so they don't run into this issue.

I'm wondering if adding okra would solidify the salsa more without affecting the taste too much. I attempted to add cornstarch last year but that was not doing the trick. I would have had to add boxes of the stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    Okra with the tomatoes has to be a good bit thicker, I would think.

I expect you'd smooth out a little bit of the acid taste as well.

It's worth a shot ....

Wait? ... What? ... I think I misunderstood.

I was thinking you were gonna freeze okra with the tomatoes.

It's worth a shot. See what happens. I'm no meteorologist ...

But now that I read again, I think you're just putting okra in a fresh salsa?

As far as I know, fresh okra uncooked isn't gonna thicken anything on its own.

Maybe freeze less-watery varieties?

BUT.... If you ARE cooking your salsa, then absolutely try okra.

Or file powder. Or both.

xanthan gum is also a possiblity.

But it can be a little farty... or worse ... LOL

https://www.reddit.com/r/Canning/com..._gum_in_salsa/

Quote Originally Posted by DParker View Post
    Try getting it to around 0F (zero). The faster things freeze the less their cells rupture. It has to do with an inverse relationship between the speed of water freezing and the growth of ice crystals.
    I did not know that. I will stick one of those thermal reading things in there.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    Wait? ... What? ... I think I misunderstood.

I was thinking you were gonna freeze okra with the tomatoes.

It's worth a shot. See what happens. I'm no meteorologist ...

But now that I read again, I think you're just putting okra in a fresh salsa?

As far as I know, fresh okra uncooked isn't gonna thicken anything on its own.

Maybe freeze less-watery varieties?

BUT.... If you ARE cooking your salsa, then absolutely try okra.

Or file powder. Or both.

xanthan gum is also a possiblity.

But it can be a little farty... or worse ... LOL

https://www.reddit.com/r/Canning/com..._gum_in_salsa/
    Just trying to thicken up salsa. Probably would freeze my okra too as that harvest is incremental like the maters.

Canning anything is fairly labor intensive. Pressure canning is especially time intensive. There is the processing time but additionally you have to let the steamer sit and depressurize on it's own. Bringing it up to temperature and having it blowing steam before you begin the steaming process is also time consuming. To justify doing it you need to first have plenty of whatever it is your canning on hand. Having 6 or 7 tomatoes ripe and ready to can is not feasible. Therefore, I harvest my tomatoes throughout the growing season and then process everything at once.

So I put the tomatoes in the freezer and hold them that way. The freezing process (ice crystals) ruptures the plant cell walls and therefore a lot of liquid comes out of the tomato - good for soup, good for juice, not good for salsa.

When you visit forums you are typically conversing with people that go to farmer's markets and purchase all the tomatoes they need at once so they can't understand the dilemma.

"Get a rope"
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

I bought an attachment that hooks on to my grinder that separates the skin and seeds from the meat. It's a life saver. To get the skin off of a tomato you typically have to blanch them and then give them an ice bath to slip the skins off. Then you need to remove the seeds. It's labor intensive for such a small tomato (Roma or San Marzano).

This gadget allows you to feed tomatoes as fast you can.
    Zombie Response Team

Probably would freeze my okra too as that harvest is incremental like the maters..
    My okra has kicked into overdrive and I'm now having to pick it twice per day, every day. I've eaten about 1 lb, given away a couple lbs to family, frozen about 2 lbs and currently have 3.25 lbs sitting in the fridge, some of which I plan to pickle this weekend, as well as some cucumbers. I'm also up to my eyeballs in jalapeņos and poblanos, with a smattering of habaneros, so some of those will be used to spice up the pickles. I finally got one of my little sugar baby watermelons to ripen. Tasty and juicy, but a LOT of seeds.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Just trying to thicken up salsa. Probably would freeze my okra too as that harvest is incremental like the maters.

Canning anything is fairly labor intensive. Pressure canning is especially time intensive. There is the processing time but additionally you have to let the steamer sit and depressurize on it's own. Bringing it up to temperature and having it blowing steam before you begin the steaming process is also time consuming. To justify doing it you need to first have plenty of whatever it is your canning on hand. Having 6 or 7 tomatoes ripe and ready to can is not feasible. Therefore, I harvest my tomatoes throughout the growing season and then process everything at once.

So I put the tomatoes in the freezer and hold them that way. The freezing process (ice crystals) ruptures the plant cell walls and therefore a lot of liquid comes out of the tomato - good for soup, good for juice, not good for salsa.

When you visit forums you are typically conversing with people that go to farmer's markets and purchase all the tomatoes they need at once so they can't understand the dilemma.

"Get a rope"

LOL ... I understand. DP's suggestion for rapid freezing makes sense, and then I guess you could look at tomatoes that are less watery to begin with.

I know I'm not standing around canning anything in this lifetime ....

I'll just make multiple trips to the Piggly Wiggly when I need something ... LOL

Yes, Romas and San Marzano's are considered the salsa tomatoes with more meat to juice ratio than others.
    Zombie Response Team

I will say this though, the watery salsa I make is the best starter for veggie soup you could ever possibly want. Just add some meat (can I say meat?) your favorite veggies and wow.

Can I say Wow?
    Zombie Response Team

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast