Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk Gear

Hybrid View

Let's talk Gear

Oh what fun!

The pack I currently have is made by Rocky - nice pack, horrible boots. My boots melted in my closest but that is another story.
    So I actually like the Rocky pack but wish it was a little bigger with maybe an external or internal frame. The problem I have is the pack is so loaded with stuff that I feel like I need a frame.

So I took out my Alice pack the other day and it is simply not big enough and there aren't as many side pockets. Frame is fantastic though. Thought maybe I could take the Alice frame and put in on my Rocky pack. No.
    Hanging a framed pack in a tree is also a problem.

So then I got out my fanny pack and put the essentials in it and then the rest went into the backpack. Problem with that set up is the fanny pack doesn't play well with a backpack as the two are trying to occupy the same position on my butt. There is also one additional piece of gear that I have to keep track of. Simpler is better. Always.

So now I'm back to looking at backpacks and took a quick look at Badlands. If you look at these packs there is basically one big compartment and a couple of side pockets. The more the pack holds the fewer the side pockets. It's the side pockets that allow you to quickly get out a grunt tube or find your binoculars when you need them. The one big compartment in a pack is fine for clothes but when you are trying to find individual items it's horrible.

The prices are also pretty high. Their framed pack is over 500.00 and has no side pockets. If I was hiking to a location to camp I can see the pack being useful but I need to put my hands on my release and know where it is quickly.

What am I missing? Don't designers hunt?
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Like Bill Clinton, I feel your pain.

Also, there is an excellent parody out there from the old Weekly Standard of Bill agreeing with Hillary on "What difference at this point does it make?" from long ago ... But I digress ...

Badlands packs went in the wrong direction soon after they became popular for going in the right direction. I have a few more comments to make about that, but I will desist.

I would be looking on ebay for their earlier packs (say 2005-20012 just for shits and grins) and if I ever get a minute I will give you a few model names to look for to see if they might fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    Badlands packs went in the wrong direction soon after they became popular for going in the right direction.

You can throw so many manufacturers into that mix. It's like they can't get out of their own way.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

PM sent ...

So, just to pile on a bit. On my Rocky, I've got 4 smaller outside pockets and one larger outside pocket, pocket on top flap and smaller pocket on lower back.

top flap: compass, keys
    top right: sheath knife, folder knife, headlamp, small flashlight, extra batteries
    lower right: TP, hand sanitizer, paracord
    top left: extra release, gps unit
    lower left: range finder, scent wafers, bow string wax
    larger outside pouch pocket: rattle bag, release, mesh face mask, grunt tube, binoculars, strap with equipment hooks
    inside pocket: folder saw with wood and bone blade, license, first aid bag, hand warmers
    lower back: bow hook
    pants pocket: cell phone

Now put all of that in a large compartment along with a water bottle, harness, gloves, rope etc. and you have a recipe for disaster.

So I see backpacks with great quality just not useable design.

I would actually like to have my kill stuff with me but there is no room: pulley system, butt-out, small tarp, meat bags, ziplocs for heart and liver, string for colon etc.
    Zombie Response Team

Are you Sonny or Tubbs?
    Zombie Response Team

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    Are you Sonny or Tubbs?
    Wait, are you hijacking your own thread?
    Zombie Response Team

There was a thread awhile back on the dark side where somebody had a Badlands pack that had some seams that had failed or something to that effect. Badlands wouldn't honor the defect even though their products are supposedly guaranteed for life. This thread went on for months and hundreds of posts of people denouncing their loyalty to Badlands for their failure to honor their guarantee. It was quite entertaining.

I'm thinking you could have taken care of the guy's problem and earned some respect as opposed to becoming a public enemy over a small repair job.
    Zombie Response Team

Wait, are you hijacking your own thread?
    It's still almost a free country ...

Are you Sonny or Tubbs?
    I'm Batman.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast