Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A hunting related thread on Hunting Country......

A hunting related thread on Hunting Country......

I figured I'd change things up here and start talking about hunting on huntingcountry, that'd be a novel idea ehh?

Season opened on the 1st, I'm going out tomorrow for my first outing. Temps are still in the mid to upper 80's which makes it difficult to think about hunting. Been working my (our) asses of at the leased farms trying to get things ready. We did pick up a new area on one of our farms, was only hunted by the farmer in years past and he and his buddy only shot bucks over 150". It's an area of about 150acres and the woods borders farm fields on one side and marsh on the other which the deer love to travel through. We have 6 elevated boxes on the marsh side and 5 ladders on the field side. Looking forward to hunting the new area this year.
    My land is pretty quiet, I planted sweet corn but the surrounding farm land is all in standing corn still and my corn is brown, theirs is green due to using the pivots for water all summer. Deer don't care about my piddly corn. maybe after the corn is down, I'll start running the feeder again and bring them is. Only have a few decent bucks on camera, all at night and sporadic.
    I'm still running Covert cameras, just got a new cellular one to add to my original cellular and 6 other traditional cameras. I see Spypoint has a cellular camera now for around $150, that's cheap!

You guys even hunt anymore?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Temps are still in the mid to upper 80's...
    Gee, that's rough.

Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Yea that sucks BUT you aren't hunting either
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yea that sucks BUT you aren't hunting either
    Nope. I'm waiting for it to dip into the mid to upper '80s.
    - Diemon Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DParker View Post
    Nope. I'm waiting for it to dip into the mid to upper '80s.
    BOOM
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm just bustin' yer huevos, Jon. Just like my wife's friends and family in Wisconsin do every time she complains about how "cold" it is here during the winter. "Oooooh. 38 degrees ya' say? Yeah, that's almost long-pants weather 'der. Almost."

Well, OK...there are no huevos involved there, but...

But seriously, it's pretty miserable in the field right now. Bugs, snakes (though they're not as much of a problem), poison ivy every-damned-where. Even sitting out in the milo fields dove hunting (which just started this week) is a challenge because you have sweat dripping in your eyes by the time the sun comes up. Bow season starts the first weekend of October, and it's probably going to be uncomfortable even then.
    - Diemon Dave

I was playin along. I know it's miserable hot in Tx and I would melt.
    The chiggers and ticks here are nasty but the snakes aren't poisonous and the poison ivy/oak is easy to avoid. The weather will break sooner than you know because time waits for no-one.
    I'll wait for December to come hunt Tx, at least the temps cool off to 65 by then!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The chiggers and ticks here are nasty...
    We have chiggers here as well (in fact the town nearby the area I bow hunt most often has an annual "Chigger Fest"), but they're usually not bad, and I've been lucky enough to avoid them completely except for 1 that got it's chompers into my arm a couple seasons ago. I was amazed at how much it hurt given how tiny those little bastards are. I can't imagine getting into a swarm of them.

I'll wait for December to come hunt Tx, at least the temps cool off to 65 by then!
    If we're lucky!

- Diemon Dave

Well, we had it tough.

Every day we used to have to get up 5 hours before we went to bed, harvest the chiggers and smoke them over a fire with wood chopped using a herring. The chiggers would have to feed all 29 of us all crammed into a shoe box. Then our parents would kill us and dance about on our graves.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

But we don't care if this site ever talks about hunting, I mean between the 4 folks who check in, who actually needs hunting talk on a hunting site, right?

I gave it a shot
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast