Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Big Fat Greek Vacation

My Big Fat Greek Vacation

Spent two weeks with the family touring some of the Greek Islands and Italy. My wife has had a burning desire to see the Greek Islands so she planned the whole trip. I simply nodded a lot when she gave me the itinerary. I made the request for a more intensive tour through the Roman coliseum which was way too brief when I visited twenty years ago. I really didn't have much knowledge of Greece before the trip so I had no expectations. The only thing I knew was to stay clear of the Ouzo which is a particularly nasty licorice flavored liqueur made on the islands.

We'll review the trip, focus on some of the answers to questions I had along the way, provide back stories and interesting experiences that happened along the way. So put your tray table in the upright and locked position, get your passport out and don't forget to tip your tour guide. Andiamo!

Verb. andiamo. first-person plural present indicative of andare - we go. first-person plural present subjunctive of andare - that we go. first-person plural imperative of andare - let's go!
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    I simply nodded a lot when she gave me the itinerary.
    Good move. You're not half as dumb as I look.

The only thing I knew was to stay clear of the Ouzo which is a particularly nasty licorice flavored liqueur made on the islands.
    It pairs well with grilled octopus though.

Andiamo!

Verb. andiamo. first-person plural present indicative of andare - we go. first-person plural present subjunctive of andare - that we go. first-person plural imperative of andare - let's go!
    All the Italian you need to know (once you get past the French). Sono affamato!!

Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Lol, +7
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

What Have The Romans Ever Done For Us

--By Swamp Fox

Veni, vedi, vici ...

Amo, amas, amat ...

Pop quiz on Tuesday--

A "C" is what you got.

The only thing I knew was to stay clear of the Ouzo which is a particularly nasty licorice flavored liqueur made on the islands.
    Quote Originally Posted by DParker View Post

It pairs well with grilled octopus though.
    My best friend got into a bottle of ouzo in high school ... I wasn't there, but on the morning after he looked like an octopus had tried to have its way with him with two or three or eight pipe wrenches under the stars at the marina, so I do have a clue what BC means, and it is a powerful warning.

Santorini

My view out my window as we took a cruise ship. I wondered if I would get sick on the trip but it never happened as we had calm seas the whole time. It was an enjoyable experience and a great way to move around with minimal fuss. The food was great, the people were nice and accommodating.

There is lots to do on a cruise ship, however, at the end of the day, you just want to eat, watch a little Australian rugby and go to sleep. There are a lot of activities on a cruise ship. Ninety five percent are pretty lame. Rooms were nice, cruise ship was clean. No complaints. It was better than expected.
    Zombie Response Team

Santorini, like all Greek islands is hilly/mountainous and rugged terrain. The economy is based on tourism but it is still a thriving little island with little cities sprinkled throughout. The Greek Islands don't get much rainfall and so at this time of year it is dry. Water is not easy to come by. The islands have not been scarred by resorts and high-rise hotels. There are resorts but they are small and tasteful and blend in with the countryside. You won't see any structures that aren't the typical white stone or concrete like substance quarried from island. Very quaint and I can see why it is a honeymooner's paradise.

Yes, I know, I'm not in Kansas any more...
    Zombie Response Team

Zombie Response Team

That's exactly how I imagined the view from a cruise ship would look. It's uncanny.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Really, you mean you envisioned this island?
    Zombie Response Team

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast