Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: My Big Fat Greek Vacation

I didn't realize that much of the coliseum was plastered (insert your favorite joke here). Here is a look at some remnants.

Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

The trap door supports are visible. Look at the little square at the left side of the picture. This what they used to raise and lower the animals.

One of the interesting things the guide mentioned was that archers were stationed on little benches around the arena to kill any wild animals that leaped up into the audience.
    (and some people say these threads don't have anything to do with archery)
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

That's awesome. I didn't actually get to go inside so I guess technically it's still on my bucket list.

I always thought they should tear out the safety fences and put the gods and goddesses back in the archways in the fresh air where they belong. It would promote hand-holding of children and the Law of Natural Selection, if nothing else, though both are important.

The fences are a bit of an eyesore, and a buzz-kill.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post

The trap door supports are visible. Look at the little square at the left side of the picture. This what they used to raise and lower the animals.

One of the interesting things the guide mentioned was that archers were stationed on little benches around the arena to kill any wild animals that leaped up into the audience.
    (and some people say these threads don't have anything to do with archery)

ooof! ...

Nice save ... LOL

A lot of the fences are because it is still under reconstruction. We were actually watching some of the workmen while we were there. Just like Pompeii, it's ongoing.

And in case anyone was wondering, The holes (pock marked walls) that are present around the arena contained iron support rods that were later reclaimed after the fall.
    Zombie Response Team

This is a model taken in the coliseum showing what it would have looked like in its prime.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

+6 lol
    Zombie Response Team

The holes (pock marked walls) that are present around the arena contained iron support rods that were later reclaimed after the fall.

Freakin' Vandals ...

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122