Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: My Big Fat Greek Vacation

Was lucky enough to be able to travel the corridor that the gladiators took. Not all tours get to do that. Kinda of a strange feeling knowing that you are walking the same steps that they did so many years ago - wondering what they were feeling and how hard their heart must be beating.

I was looking forward to that from day one on the trip.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

This is where the Senators sat.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    Was lucky enough to be able to travel the corridor that the gladiators took.
    Cool. We missed out on that. Did you get to walk into the center of the arena, hold your arms out and yell, "Are you not entertained?!!"

We did get to walk the tunnel the GB Packers take from their lockers out onto the field at Lambeau. That's pretty much the same...right?
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

lol, you bet!

My parents actually got to go below level when they were there. There is a waiting list to do that but it takes months I believe.
    Zombie Response Team

One of the funniest/sickest stories of the trip was when the guide was telling us that executions also took place in the arena. Of course my hand dutifully popped up and asked what kind of executions.
    The guide studied me for a minute, hesitated, surveyed the group and then said, do you really want to know.

Absolutely I said.

She said that they used to take people scheduled for execution, dress them up in wings to imitate Icarus or some biblical figure and then launch them out of a catapult to entertain the crowd.
    Zombie Response Team

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    She said that they used to take people scheduled for executions, dress them up in wings to imitate Icarus or some biblical figure and then launch them out of a catapult to entertain the crowd.
    Well, you have to admit...that would be a lot more entertaining than any Super Bowl half-time show from the past 10 years, at least.
    - Diemon Dave

Are you including nipple bowl?

So are we assuming the Romans actually invented dwarf tossing? There goes that whole "what have the Romans ever done for us" thing.
    Zombie Response Team

I don't know about dwarf tossing, but I seem to recall some ancient mosaics depicting cat juggling.
    - Diemon Dave

Is there anything funnier than a midget in a toga?

I'm not trying to dis the dwarves ...

This is a model taken in the coliseum showing what it would have looked like in its prime.
    Zombie Response Team

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast