Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Reads Hook-and-Bullet Material Anymore?

Who Reads Hook-and-Bullet Material Anymore?

The magazines have basically disappeared from the racks, and the ones that remain are paper-thin ghosts of their old selves. Not sure that digital outdoor media is thriving in any way, shape or form, either---written or otherwise. (I'm open to correction here.)

What do you think folks of different skill levels but who could be classified as "serious" gravitate to or would like to see more of? Is anyone or any group meeting this need, or even trying to? Spitballing: how-to, gear, adventure, destinations, personal stories, "Suddenly, Joe shot the bear..." narratives, think pieces, humor, essays, poetry ... ? Wut?

Exit question for Crookedeye: What are the Drury brothers up to lately?

I noticed a few of the magazines out at the moment are trying to make small-gauge and break-action shotguns a thing now for turkey hunting ...

I mean, there's stretching for material, and then there's really stretching ...

I rely on CE mostly for hunting stories and you for what gear has been discontinued that you really loved. DParker generally keeps everyone informed on hotties and beer.

What more do you want?
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

I guess when you look at it that way ... LOL

I wonder how CE is doing this week shooting crappie with his bow?

He should consider submitting some articles to someone about it. Could be the next big thing. He could ride that hobby horse 'til he drops, like Dick Idol with patterning one specific big buck and Charles Alsheimer and the moon and Brad Herndon with inside corners. Those guys got boo-coo articles and even whole books out of those concepts. They cranked out the words like factories for years. Same basic info every time.

Speaking of which, Deer and Deer Hunting says they're running a Charlie Alsheimer "tribute column" on the cover of the latest issue, but I couldn't find it flipping through the magazine at the Piggly Wiggly. I wonder what that's all about. One-shot deal? Ongoing homages? Serial reprints?

In other news, I just noticed that Dwight Schuh passed away after a long battle with cancer. A great western/adventure bow-hunting writer and editor. I'll miss his stuff.

Read the whole thing, and check out the bit about well-intentioned llama-packing trips ... LOL:

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/id...?pid=191485299

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    I rely on CE mostly for hunting stories and you for what gear has been discontinued that you really loved. DParker generally keeps everyone informed on hotties and beer.

What more do you want?

I miss the old BowCountry Journal.

Bow reviews, recipes, how-to, personal profiles, essays, stories true and imagined, beer tastings ....

If we'd had more poetry I bet we could have survived ...

Also, when we had blog capabilities on here, Luv2 wrote a really excellent piece about a tree ... I still remember it.

I wonder what ever happened to that guy? .....

btw, we had over 200 guests a couple of days ago...
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Maybe we just need to re-brand Hunting Country. "Come for the gear reviews stay for the burning bush jokes". Kinda catchy.
    Zombie Response Team

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    btw, we had over 200 guests a couple of days ago...
    Try the grey stuff...it's delicious.

Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

i w ent turkey hunting for 3 days and 4 nights, good week ..didnt get nothing, but fun camping again..good being out in the sticks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast