Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY FRIENDS ON H.C.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    So how does the cutting technique differ than a normal Chef knife. You don't rock it back and forth?
    That's one of the most notable differences. Although the edge has a slight curve to it, it's much straighter than those on European chef's knives. It's designed primarily for what I've seen termed "push cutting" and light chopping, both of which involve keeping the edge parallel to the cutting surface. Push cutting simply means a single motion cut in a mostly downward direction, but also pushing the blade slightly forward (away from you) at the same time. By "light" chopping I mean pushing straight down through an item, but with relatively little force. That's as opposed to, say, the sort of things you'd do when breaking down a chicken...like having to force the knife into the joints between bones, for instance. It an be used to cut in other ways too, of course. And like anything else...there are many competing views on how they compare with other designs, the best ways to use them, etc.

And I probably mischaracterize all this as being specific to the kiritsuke, when in fact much of it applies to several other Japanese blade profiles as well. But I'm only now learning about this stuff myself, so take it all with a medium-sized grain of NaCl.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    Do you make the flaming tower of onions and catch an egg in your Chef's hat? How does it hold up to all the fidgeting and banging that goes on when you are cooking.
    Not yet...but there's a hibachi joint in town where the chef's put on those sorts of displays, so it might be a handy skill to have in case this whole computer software thing turns out to be just a passing fad.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Lol, okay. Good write up.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234