Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY FRIENDS ON H.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton Rich View Post
    I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! That's a fine looking knife DP. Does it actually have a bunch of dimples in it or is that an illusion?
    Yep, it's a hammered blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton Rich View Post
    My first thought was that the dimples would prevent the slices of whatever from sticking to the blade.[/B]
    That's the theory behind it. I have yet to try it, so I don't know if it really works in practice.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DParker View Post
    So...what did everyone get (besides an in-laws headache)?

Edit: OK, I'll start. A Shun (manufacturer) 8" Kiritsuke (style), Japan's take on the general-purpose chef's knife, from their hammered damascus "Premier" line. The workhorse of the typical Japanese kitchen, this one has a core made from Shun's proprietary "VG-Max" steel (a slightly modified version of VG-10), and is scary sharp out of the box. Hopefully I'll still have all 10 fingers by the time I get the hang of using it effectively.

Knife is way cool. Can it open a can of paint though?
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    Knife is way cool. Can it open a can of paint though?
    Maybe, but probably only once. It'll cut the hell out of onions though. I finally got to use it last night when I used the pressure cooker to make some French onion soup. The chopping motion...as opposed to the more standard slicing...took a little getting used to, but once I did I sailed through a half-dozen onions in no time at all. I even ended up with the same number of fingers I started out with.

Here's something else that Santa brought me. The Smoke Daddy "Magnum" cold smoke generator. It took me about 10 minutes to install it onto the back of my smoker (not counting the trip to Home Depot for a 1 1/8" hole saw). My plan is to try it out on some blocks of cheese this weekend. Yeah, the smoker could use a cleaning.

(Full size image at: https://i.imgur.com/elHg91U.jpg) (Full size image at: https://i.imgur.com/ID2KjIL.jpg)
    - Diemon Dave

Cool. I'll give you a little advice on the cheese smoking. You are not going to want to smoke the whole block of cheese as the smoke won't penetrate all the way through. I cut mine into maybe 3x5" blocks. Also, I've found the two hours is plenty on cheese or it can be too much. Post your pics when you do it. The advice though was for wood smoking and may not be appropriate for that doodad you've got.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    Cool. I'll give you a little advice on the cheese smoking. You are not going to want to smoke the whole block of cheese as the smoke won't penetrate all the way through. I cut mine into maybe 3x5" blocks. Also, I've found the two hours is plenty on cheese or it can be too much. Post your pics when you do it. The advice though was for wood smoking and may not be appropriate for that doodad you've got.
    "Blocks" may have been an overstatement on my part. The packages of cheese I'm going to be using are already pretty small, being in the neighborhood of about 1"x3"x4" each (Full size: https://i.imgur.com/z4v64a1.jpg)

The 2 hour limit is good info. I was reading some sources that said 3-4 hours, but that does sound like a bit much. I'll go for 2 instead. And the Smoke Daddy does use wood chunks (or chips, or even pellets), so your advice would be applicable. Thanks.

Also, I currently have some hickory, pecan and apple wood chunks. I'm thinking the milder apple would be the way to go with cheese. Thoughts?
    - Diemon Dave

I've done it with oak and I've done it with pecan. I don't know whether I can tell a difference. I think the apple sounds great. Your cheese sizes are perfect. I've done the 3-4 hours smoking time when I first started doing it. Way too much.

I've smoked Havarti and some other mild cheeses but my favorite is just good old cheddar. I'd be interested if you come to the same conclusion. Nothing better than making a grilled cheese samich with your smoked cheese or having it with crackers and chili (with beans of course).

bluecat out
    Zombie Response Team

One more thing I forgot to mention. I do turn the cheese (flip over) about the midway point.
    Zombie Response Team

Good info. For how many days to you let the cheese sit wrapped in the fridge in order to "mellow" the smoke flavor?
    - Diemon Dave

I guess I don't know how to answer that. I've chilled them back up and then into the tummy.

I did make some extra which I froze. I pulled one out yesterday and had it with chili. Delightful.
    Zombie Response Team

Quote Originally Posted by DParker View Post
    Good info. For how many days to you let the cheese sit wrapped in the fridge in order to "mellow" the smoke flavor?
    Maybe a day. You can experiment with that and let me know. I never even thought of that before.
    Zombie Response Team

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast