Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING, GOD

when i shot this deer it wasnt like the bonecolletor tv show..there was no brotherhood..

when we shoot a deer at night you better gut it and hang it...because were not going to drag it out at night..theres football on that night..

Congrats Bob! that's a beauty! For all that my urban bowhunting lacks, at least I never have to drag a deer more than about 100 yards

Best story I've heard this year Bob, I applaud your spunk, I lost that a while back, I stopped dragging after I was jerked into a cactus patch several years ago, one of the worst experiences I've had in several years. Contrats on a beautiful buck, and knowing you it is well deserved, I know you put in the work. Put up some pics if you get him mounted, if that puts you in a strain A few of us would surely donate to the good cause. Again, great story followed by a great buck, I enjoyed the read!!!

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    I stopped dragging after I was jerked into a cactus patch several years ago
    That reminds me of the time I tripped and fell while hiking in the Superstition Mountains in AZ with my family in 1970 and rolled through a patch of jumping cholla cactus. The resulting half hour session with a pair of pliars is something that I'll surely never forget.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

My good friend worked on me for about 45 minutes with pliers and tweezers, he's a great friend.I had to ride back to camp standing up in the back of a pickup

Best story I've heard this year Bob, I applaud your spunk, I lost that a while back, I stopped dragging after I was jerked into a cactus patch several years ago, one of the worst experiences I've had in several years.
    The spunk you speak of is really necessity. If there was any other way short of the deer cart I should have bought years ago trust me, I would have gladly taken any other option. I hope to one day hunt in Texas although avoiding said cactus patches you and DP mention. I've been to Texas on business fives times this year (Houston, Dallas 2X, San Antonio and Driftwood (just had to try the Salt Lick open pit barbecue.)

Congrats on a beautiful buck, and knowing you it is well deserved, I know you put in the work. Put up some pics if you get him mounted, if that puts you in a strain A few of us would surely donate to the good cause. Again, great story followed by a great buck, I enjoyed the read!!!
    Thank you sir! It's not so much I "deserve" anything. Over the years I have gained much more than I ever gave and I'm eternally grateful. It's the first time in a long time I listened and followed instructions instead of debating and arguing. The story was from the heart. Be well my friend and Merry Christmas!
    Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

Ephesians 5:11

Thanks Rich! Urban bowhunting is an art unto itself which I respect. I've been on a few of these hunts in Lynchburg, VA. Although I didn't shoot anything through my binos I was able to watch a rerun of Sanford and Son without sound of course on some guys TV next to the patch I was hunting. LOL! Maybe that's why I didn't see any deer.

P.S
    Epilogue to the story.

Same stand exactly 1 week apart from the last time I sat in it to shoot the 1st buck. Again following instructions I hunted a morning sit and saw nothing. Packed up around 10:00 a.m. and made my way to the top of the ravine. My mind, no longer focused on hunting was startled awake. A big patch of grey at the top moved at 50 yards away. This buck never saw me and for the first time in many, many years I stalked quietly within 25 yards. He's making a scrape. He's gnashing up the over-hanging branch. He's browsing. He's scratching himself. He's putting on and then decides to slowly walk straight at me.

Now he's 15 yards directly in front of me. The wind is perfect and gently blowing in my face.

The gun is already up and resting against a tree nestled in the "Y" of my thumb and index finger. "Perfect." I say to myself. "I'll drop him right here on top with an easy drag to the logging road a mere 25 yards away."

POW! Goes the 30-06 aiming right at the base of his neck. He shudders like he took a huge gulp of Jack Daniels, staggers a bit and bolts directly off the top of the mountain ridge. I'm positive he had to have dropped right off the top crest of the ravine but noooooo ...

He bounds all the way to the bottom of the ravine, crashing, bashing, auguring into the forest floor here and there and finally piles up and lands less than 50 yards from where the first buck in this story dropped. This buck was nothing to speak of per se but helped me get one animal closer to my venison donation goal. Thankfully he did not dress out as heavy as the first so this time I decided the drag straight up was doable vs the long route I took with the first deer.

LOL! I'm online now finally buying that dang deer cart I should have bought 10 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Peck View Post
    LOL! I'm online now finally buying that dang deer cart I should have bought 10 years ago!
    I've had my cart for 8 years now, but only get to use it about once every 2 years.

Want to trade problems?
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast