Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eyesight is importanter

Eyesight is importanter

I haven't been able to shoot my bow for 3 years because my eyesight was so horrible, the pins would starburst and I couldn't see the target. I hunted with a crossbow and although it was fun, the kill with a crossbow just isn't as adrenaline filled as a kill with a compound.
    I had eye surgery back in the spring and now I can see. I started practicing again over the summer and have been really nervous about hunting because I was worried I'd lose the mojo. Went to a new farm last Saturday with the intent of getting a shot at a doe if one presented itself. Well, I saw several deer but a decent doe stood still at 27yds and I picked a spot and let an arrow loose. The sound of the arrow going through the deer was incredible and the blood pouring out while she took her last few leaps was impressive, only wish it was on video! She went less than 30yds and expired right in the beans. What a feeling and it's great to have it back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Perfect shot! Welcome back Jon.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Nice kill. More importantly, it's good to hear your eyesight is back.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I started practicing again over the summer and have been really nervous about hunting because I was worried I'd lose the mojo.
    Whoa. Wait a minute. This is HuntingCountry.com. You're not supposed to be talking about hunting on here. At the very least you're supposed to hijack your own thread.

Question:
    If you were practicing over the summer you had to know you had the mojo unless you didn't actually refine your shot and were just winging it. Pray tell.
    Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

Ephesians 5:11

Beautiful shot Jon! Glad to hear you're back in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Peck View Post
    Whoa. Wait a minute. This is HuntingCountry.com. You're not supposed to be talking about hunting on here. At the very least you're supposed to hijack your own thread.

Question:
    If you were practicing over the summer you had to know you had the mojo unless you didn't actually refine your shot and were just winging it. Pray tell.
    Haha, practicing on a target isn't the same as shooting a live animal. I was very confident and didn't feel like I even missed much BUT once that doe got into place and things went smoothly, I felt better.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Congrats Jon great shot, I have a T.P.& W. hunt coming up in a month, I am really looking forward to it, just hope that my right eye keeps holding out.

Haha, practicing on a target isn't the same as shooting a live animal. I was very confident and didn't feel like I even missed much BUT once that doe got into place and things went smoothly, I felt better.

Haha, practicing on a target isn't the same as shooting a live animal.
    Duh but I disagree (somewhat). I do understand what you're saying with regard to live on-the-scene input from an animal and conditions in the wild presenting variables you simply can't practice with a stationary target. Those variables outside the deer woods are mostly ones you control. But ... adrenaline aside for a minute, a spot is a spot is a spot on the target unless it's moving in which case most of us will wait or hold up the animal until the spot is stable. That's all I was referring to.

Everybody is different. I'm cold and calculating and a focused robo-bowhunter before and during the shot. In fact, if the shot picture is exactly like practiced I'm on autopilot. Then the adrenaline pump kicks in and I physically fall to pieces immediately after the shot. My harness has saved me from falling out of the stand many a time.

I was very confident and didn't feel like I even missed much BUT once that doe got into place and things went smoothly, I felt better.
    For your sake I'm just glad you were blessed to overcome a physical deficit and are back. Bravo young man!
    Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

Ephesians 5:11

Way to go Jon! Looks like your Eagle Eye is back.

My right eye does that alot too, looks like I have 2 dots at the end of my pin. When shooting you have to decide which is the 'right' pin. That's why I prefer to hunt in thick stuff where my shots are like 10 yds. I couldn't hit crap at 40.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast