Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When life gives you lemons...

When life gives you lemons...

Grill some filet mignons.

The previous landowner left me with a lot of dead trees and stumps and I've spent most weekends since December burning and removing. But you should never let coals go to waste. This gave me a chance to try out my Christmas present - bourbon barrel smoked pepper. That with a little kosher salt and some Worcestershire sauce brought these to its highest form of yummy.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

BTW, I saw a tree had fallen on my neighbor's land recently and so I talked with him on Saturday and asked if he wanted me remove it for him. He had been burning his pasture and the fire got away from him. The roots got burned and it fell over. I didn't know what kind of tree it was as the leaves were off and didn't really inspect it too closely. He told me it was pecan and I was welcome to it.

I'll have to let it cure a bit, but what a godsend. Can't wait to smoke some stuff with that.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

So...if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to ignite the stump and cook meat over it...did it really make a sound?
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

nope
    Zombie Response Team

Post a picture of the bark and we can figure out if it's pecan. If it is, that's a find. I really like pecan for grilling/smoking. I think Billy has a way to get his hands on husks. I haven't figured that out for myself yet. There's a place I keep meaning to stop in and ask if I can get/buy some, but I haven't got "a round to-it."

BTW, I am on the hunt for a wheel to make fire pit with. Your pic reminded me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    Post a picture of the bark and we can figure out if it's pecan. If it is, that's a find. I really like pecan for grilling/smoking. I think Billy has a way to get his hands on husks. I haven't figured that out for myself yet. There's a place I keep meaning to stop in and ask if I can get/buy some, but I haven't got "a round to-it."

What do you do with the husk, smoke with them? We had a pecan tree in our backyard growing up. Finding husks was not a problem. lol
    Zombie Response Team

Burn 'em! A couple of handfuls go a long way. Nuts with meat still in them tend to be oily from what I understand, but empty hulls make a nice mild smoke. I've wanted to try the same with hickory hulls but haven't yet. I have a feeling you might have to moderate on the hickory husks more than pecan, but I mean, like, who really nos all this stuff anyway?

Post a picture of the bark and we can figure out if it's pecan. If it is, that's a find. I really like pecan for grilling/smoking. I think Billy has a way to get his hands on husks.
    It's not difficult here, what with the Pecan being native to and so common in TX that it's the official state tree. They're all over the ground in the woods around here, if you can beat the squirrels, deer and hogs to them. If not, there are numerous businesses selling bulk pecans. Crack them open, make some pie and then use the husks for smoking. It's culinary one-stop shopping!
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

They're a bit more of a prize here, maybe. I would enjoy video of Billy gathering pecan husks from the woods. Maybe fighting a hog for them ... with a knife.

Hey, Billy!

Zombie Response Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast