Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CWD in Pa

CWD in Pa

It sounds like the situation is getting pretty bad there.

http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/...-deer-with-cwd
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Little-known fact: Every third Pennsylvanian since the 1970s has been named "Mikey" (including the big fat Dutch gals) because they hate everything, but will eat it anyway.

Important info to dispute urban legend:

Mikey did not die from chasing Pop Rocks with a Coke.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/media...ears-1.4253447

I've done quite a bit of reading about prion disorders in general and CWD specifically. It is really Damn depressing. There seems to be no hope at all to stop it and even containing or slowing its spread seems unlikely. Start reading about the theories that alzheimer's and dementia are human forms if you really want to be depressed....

What was the take-away lesson in Wisconsin with the big culls and overhauls of the hunting system? I lost track/the issue seemed to move to the back burner.

This is turning into a huge deal here. More details will be coming out, but from what I'm hearing from people inside the PGC, this has spread over huge parts of the state now. Only question is, what will the PGC do in response? From their track record on everything else except antler restrictions, they will do the wrong thing.

The same thing was happening in Texas several years ago, it was found that the root of the problem was largely due to over crowding and unclean deer breeding and sales facilities. now records are required to purchase, sale, or transfer any whitetail without Game dept. Game dept. has since been involved I haven't read any stories or anything related in a couple of years, it might be that they are keeping it quiet but I know that breeding farms are being visited very frequently, they have to supply info on every deer sold with info on buyers also. I have not heard or read about a single case for a good while, hopefully it's gone from this area.

Unfortunately they are finding it in alot of wild deer, not just on the deer farms. From what I've heard they've found several cases well beyond the Disease Management Areas that were designed to kind of quarantine the area and keep it from spreading.

But with what we know about buck dispersal, it would impossible to keep it contained inside a geographic area anyway. Next year hunters will be even more restricted from what they can and can't do with a deer shot in these areas starting next year, from what I heard from someone inside the PGC.

Where I'm hunting, it's getting to the point where you should just cut the horns off of a buck and leave it lay. Too much trouble to deal with the rest of it and obey the law, unless you don't want to process your own deer.

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    I have not heard or read about a single case for a good while, hopefully it's gone from this area.
    I haven't heard of any in N/E TX either (though they are testing harvested deer for it, including the one I killed last year), but it is present in other parts of the state. TPWD has enacted a fairly aggressive testing and control program, so hopefully that will at least minimize the problem...though I doubt that it can be contained indefinitely.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/diseases/cwd/

As new cases of CWD were discovered in additional captive deer breeding facilities as well as free-ranging deer and elk in 2016/2017...
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

I know Pa won't allow deer from several states into Pa. Maryland is one of those states.
    On a side note, a few weeks ago I was driving home from work and saw a nice buck near the road in a large field, he was walking in circles. I stopped and watched for about 10 minutes while on the phone with a buddy who is a F&W officer. The deer had the 1000 mile stare going on and just walked round and round.
    A game warden came out and shot it. They brought the head to a biologist to study. I hope to hear results at some point.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast