Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolling with the bluecat

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    I wish he would have showed the last part of that a little better. The part where he said he tied a slip knot and pulled it up. I'm kinda foggy on that.
    All he did was temporarily attach the line he would eventually pull the pack up with to the pack so it wouldn't run out when he lifted the top carabiners to height. It's the equivalent of kicking your extra rope out of the way until you need it to pull with. Not sure why he didn't tie another bowline just so as to not confuse the viewer, but it does take a few extra seconds to tie and really serves no purpose, since all you're trying to do is temporarily keep that end from running through.

If you watch it a couple of times, you'll get it.

I just looked on their website. The elk hoist is 9:1 ratio. I opted for the heavier duty model.

Oh, hell ... You're set for life, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    All he did was temporarily attach the line he would eventually pull the pack up with to the pack so it wouldn't run out when he lifted the top carabiners to height. It's the equivalent of kicking your extra rope out of the way until you need it to pull with. Not sure why he didn't tie another bowline just so as to not confuse the viewer, but it does take a few extra seconds to tie and really serves no purpose, since all you're trying to do is temporarily keep that end from running through.

If you watch it a couple of times, you'll get it.
    Yep, I got it now. Took a few times. I ain't the sharpest light bulb in the shed.

It would be fun if you had a bunch of pulleys to take an object of known weight and create a pulley system, test it, and then keep adding pulleys to see the difference in effort.

But who real nos this stuff anyway. Great video. Something as simple as understanding that concept could help you out of a jam. (loading a deer via ramp, getting a deer out of a ravine, hoisting your best girl in the pickup truck etc.)
    I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

I'm not mechanically inclined, so the only way I learn any of this stuff is by seeing it and then practicing ....sometimes many times, LOL.

As a friend of mine says: "You're not used to working construction."

And then it's a matter of remembering stuff, especially if I only use it once in a blue moon. You should see me trying to tie knots I know but don't use more than a couple of times a month, LOL. I've been relearning some knots for 40 years.

The thing that sometimes confuses me about pullleys is figuring out the mechanical advantage or ratios. I'm not even sure they're always the same thing. I always thought you counted lines to figure it out--not pulleys--but every once in a while I see explanations requiring you to count "movable pulleys" or sometimes "movable" isn't even specified.

So, in my picture above which I identified as a 3:1, you can count the working lines (up and down) and get 3. I've seen formulas that (to me) seem to say that's a 4:1, though (# of pulleys X 2) which I believe is wildly incorrect, or 2:1 (# moveable pulleys X 2). But a one-pulley system isn't 2:1, as far as I know. A system is only 2:1 when one pulley is rigged to move toward another (I think).

Maybe it's the way that "3:1" rig is laid out that makes the 4:1 calculation invalid, rather than an incorrectly stated formula. Again, one movable pulley moving toward another would seem to be a 2:1, never 4:1. (Somebody set me straight if that's wrong!) I think that 3:1 is somewhat like an in-line roller system where friction is reduced more than force required is. So maybe the formula for that is # pulleys X (# wheel teams X 1.5) = MA ... LOL. Or, maybe it's just misidentified as a 3:1 !

Okay, now my head hurts. All you mechanical engineers out there go easy on me, LOL

Bluecat, you should post pics of your 9:1 hoist as a brain teaser. First guy to figure out how to explain it to me (without counting lines that total 9) wins a lollipop.

I understand what you are saying and unless I see things working a lot of times it's just Greek (damn Greeks, what have they ever done for us?)

http://forums.huntingcountry.com/for...nging-part-too

This is the video you posted awhile back but utilizes only two pulleys so a little different twist on the same theme.
    I like to diagram stuff on paper. It helps me remember and easily refreshes my memory. I am constantly tying and reviewing knots. It does take repetition.
    I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

This is kind of neat. The gun tackle configuration is exactly what the video in the previous post looks like. Two pulleys, 2:1

Have to look at the hoist tonight, but it looks like 9 pulleys, 5 on top 4 on the bottom. The one pulley is hidden behind the metal piece that jams the line.

Sometimes I understand a diagram and other times I don't. Depends on who's drawing the diagram, I think.

I tried to draw the hoist system I mentioned last night, where the rope goes over and under the vehicle (or under and over) and gave up so quickly I'm embarrassed to even mention it. I guess I just don't remember the main idea worth a darn.

This 3:1 vs 2:1 thing is really starting to bug me now. The only thing I can think of is that (maybe) there's an extra change of direction there that wouldn't be involved if the "moveable" pulley were right at the load. I'll have to go back and look at the picture again to see if that's right, and if I'm saying in words what my brain is telling me, LOL.

This is kind of neat. The gun tackle configuration is exactly what the video in the previous post looks like. Two pulleys, 2:1

Ha! That's a great diagram. Proves I was wrong that a one-pulley system can't ever be 2:1, for one thing. It depends on whether the pulley is at the anchor or at the load, dummy! So, some one-pulleys can be 2:1 and others can't.

Also, that I had the wrong idea of what "moveable" means when you see the term "moveable pulley."

Looks like counting lines can lead you astray, as well, at least the way I do it.

So I'm 0-3 ... LOL

I still don't get how my 3:1 pic is really 3:1, though, without counting lines. Must have something to do with the change of direction.

Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast