Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pressured Deer--Interesting Podcast

8 yd shot is tough because of the angle from 20' up. Can't imagine trying it from 35 ft.

Yeah, and I haven't seen him go into that anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2bowhunt View Post
    8 yd shot is tough because of the angle from 20' up. Can't imagine trying it from 35 ft.
    I don't do tree stands, and I don't think I'd like an 8 yd shot from even 20' up...but I don't know if the difference between that and 35' up is as dramatic as it sounds at first. At 20' elevation you're shooting ~10.4 yds at an angle of ~40 below horizontal. Even at that close distance the margin for error is significantly smaller than with a more-or-less horizontal shot. At 35' up your angle is ~56 and the distance increases to ~14 yds. A worse shot, to be sure. But the shot at 20' up is already bad enough that I don't know that the situation at 35' is is so much worse that it would significantly alter my shoot/no shoot decision.

But I hunt from the ground, so I'm viewing this from a purely theoretical perspective and could be way off on my assessment of the difference between those shots, even if just from a psychological perspective.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

My big problem with the close shots is making sure you don't drop your bow arm. An 8 yd shot at 20' has you bent quite a bit at the waist. That same shot at 35' would have me bent in half, something would probably snap.

I'll take your word that it's a 56 deg. angle. That would probably feel like 90 deg. to me at this age.

No, I agree with your point. Minimum height for 90% of my hunting is an estimated 24.5 feet to the platform, and it's more likely to be at least 25. Even with a "low stand" (20 feet) I don't want my anticipated shot 10 yards from the tree. One thing is the kill angle, and the other is shooting looking almost straight down to the ground.

Homey has enough problems shooting from a standing position on a small platform without also bending toward the ground and leaning out while looking through a small peep from two and a half or three storeys up.

I hate to admit this, but since I'm among us fence posts - the biggest buck (whitetail) I've ever had a chance to kill with bow, I missed on a close shot like that.

It's not an easy shot IMHO.

Hell, I missed a shot like that with a RIFLE...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    Hell, I missed a shot like that with a RIFLE...LOL
    Maybe you didn't throw it hard enough?
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

That's an explanation I hadn't thought of!

Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123