Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Official Journalism Awards Thread

By the way...isn't some nut-job wearing nothing but a jacket walking in and shooting up the place pretty much what you expect when sitting in a Waffle House at 3am?
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Emma Gonzalez thinks it's a red herring to address a half-naked murderer's mental health.

Tell me again why anyone's listening to these scholars?

Whoa, that bitch cray cray.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    ‘AYFKM’? NBC New York’s getting torched over their ‘weird euphemism for an armed home invader’

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/20...-home-invader/

LOL

Do I detect a trend?

Actual AP headline:

“Tourist Mecca Notre Dame Also Revered As Place Of Worship”

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/04/...place-worship/

A Priest Saved ‘The Body of Christ’ From Notre Dame, and NY Times Thought He Meant a Statue

https://freebeacon.com/blog/a-priest...eant-a-statue/

Hooooo boy. I figured this was common knowledge, but Christians do this thing once a week where, as one modern-day saint put it, we drink our little wine and eat our little cracker. We call the bread the "Body of Christ" and the wine the "Blood of Christ," a ceremony that dates back to the example Jesus himself set the night before he was crucified. Catholics in particular assign more importance to communion than most Protestants do, teaching that the bread becomes the literal body of Jesus Christ.

There's the possibility of some sort of translation error, but the Times reporter in question appears to be fluent in French. No, something was lost in translation alright, but I suspect that it was just a case of good-old fashioned religious illiteracy. The guy assigned to report on the biggest religion story of the day was really that ignorant of one of the most important ceremonies in the dominant religion on both sides of the Atlantic.

Ironically, the phrase "body of Christ" has led to this sort of mix-up before. The Washington Post‘s Kathleen Parker was horrified, just horrified that Ted Cruz said during a rally that "the body of Christ" should "rise up" to support him. "I don’t know anyone who takes their religion seriously who would think that Jesus should rise from the grave and resurrect himself to serve Ted Cruz," she complained.

For someone so versed in religion, Parker somehow didn't know that "body of Christ" is also a widely-used metaphor that means the Church as a whole. Cruz wanted Christians to vote for him, not for Jesus to rise from the grave and give him a thumbs-up. (Christians don't even believe that Jesus has a grave to resurrect himself from. We plan to celebrate that this Sunday. It's not a big deal, just sort of the basis of our entire religion.)

Is it really too much to ask that the pundits who weigh in on and the journalists who report on Christian matters know the first thing about Christianity? It's embarrassing when reporters botch stories on say, Judaism (like the AP reporter who thought Jews "sit and shiver"), but ignorance of the religious practices of 2% of Americans is at least somewhat understandable. The mainstream media has shown time and time against that they are ignorant of the basics of the deeply-held beliefs of a majority of their fellow Americans.

In an article about the aftermath of the deadly school shooting in Parkland, Florida, the Associated Press wrote that Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel had described visiting the families of the victims.

“I’ve been to their homes where they sit and shiver,” the AP quoted him as saying.

But what Israel actually said was “I’ve been to their homes where they’re sitting shiva.”

The AP issued a correction four days later.

Read more: https://forward.com/fast-forward/395...it-and-shiver/

This is getting to be like bashing used-car salesmen at this point ...

Those are pretty good. I heard where some "journalist" was trying to ban Sound of Music because it is Nazi music, and of course, Donald Trump is a Nazi.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

I remember my dad telling me stories how the German troops struck fear in the American lines at the Battle of the Bulge by singing A Doe A Deer A Female Deer between shellings ...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast