Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Journalism Awards Thread

Official Journalism Awards Thread

In the event that you can't find another thread to post in, feel free to dump the trash here.

The "Grey Lady" is undeniably senile:

BTW, the Times is in the middle of a big lay-off of copy editors in an effort to save money...What could go wrong?

What am I missing here? (In the interest of full disclosure I might have enjoyed a few craft beers in the past couple of hours.)
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Dozens of people were wounded by gunfire at a nightclub early Saturday morning in downtown Arkansas

LOL. Thanks.
    - Diemon Dave

CNN’s Jim Acosta Calls Trump Presser A “Fake News Conference,” Gets Fact Wrong

I believe the article will soon update to show Acosta 0 for 3 on facts, instead of just "0 for 2 and we'll get back to you on #3."

#3: Trump gave his first question to The Daily Mail and his second to MSNBC. So not a fake news conference. (Apparently if you give your initial questions to friendly media, that's a fake news conference, according to Acosta.)

Not anything too amazing here if you've been following journalism's decline for any length of time, or Trump Derangement Syndrome for that matter. But I thought it was a good marker for some clearly stated facts about Obama's response to Russian hacking/interference/heavy breathing, and the reality of what "intelligence agencies" were concluding or not concluding about it. In case anyone's interested. Those were Acosta's blunders 1 and 2.

Most press and pundits don't seem to be in a big hurry to clarify those areas or explain how they've allowed public misimpressions to develop and percolate.

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/07/0...ts-fact-wrong/

While not national...or really of any consequence other than as another illustration of the theme...I'll add the following as an award candidate:

The Columbia {Missouri} Daily Tribune publishes a piece by one of its more cantankerous aging liberal columnists in which he recounts his harrowing experience being pulled over by a pair of local sheriff’s deputies for failing to signal a turn. "Ol' Clark" (how the author refers to himself) informs us that the deputies were such jack-booted thugs that they pulled him over for "no reason" (though he's certain it was really because of all his liberal bumper stickers), were generally mean and nasty to him and he even feels lucky that he wasn't shot! He concludes by exercising his inner SJW with...

I’ve just come to appreciate even more the words of those minorities when they speak of harassment and police arrogance. I had a good dose of arrogance on this evening and, in my rear view mirror, the image of the second officer out of the car, his hands ready in case I made the wrong move. My life seemed to be in danger.

I fully understand how a person can lose their respect for law officers. When you are in the shoes of the minority, you learn a lot more about their journey.
    Here's the original story: http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...un-in-with-law

Apparently (insert video of funny red-headed "apparently" kid here)...Ol' Clark isn't smart enough to know that it's pretty common for law enforcement vehicles to be equipped with dash-mounted video+audio recording gear. And unfortunately for Ol' Clark, Boone County Sheriff Dwayne Carey is not only aware of his agency's use of said equipment, it seems he also reads the Columbia Daily Tribune...or at least did that day. Upon hearing about how poorly a citizen was treated by a pair of his deputies the good sheriff immediately conducted an investigation, whereupon he found and reviewed the audio-visual recording of the incident. As it turns out, Ol' Clark is a lying sack of crap. In reality the cops conducted themselves in about as polite and professional a manner as you can imagine, and it was Ol' Clark who was the confrontational a**hole at the party.

Here's a piece on it, with the video appearing at the end of the story: https://bluelivesmatter.blue/video-b...ounty-sheriff/

Yeah...journalism.
    - Diemon Dave

LOL...

Just for the record, entries here don't have to be national. Local journalism used to be funnier, in fact. I should go through my archives.

But the key phrase is "used to be." Oh, well.

Ol' Clark is a drama queen and pretty cavalier with his use of quotation marks. Hanging his theme on a flimsy hook like minority-police interactions when there is absolutely no reason to, other than his fevered lefty imagination, is beyond lame.

On the other hand, you have to feel sorry for the poor schlub. He has to churn out a column three times a week in a college town. "Shoot me now."

Alright, who wants to argue about the merits of the revenue stop at a T intersection with no traffic and roughly two half-hours of Law Enforcement's time involved. Maybe in a different thread, LOL.

BTW, there was at least one other similar dust-up that made national news ---or at least made it to the news junkie level---a little while back. Within the last 5 years, say, being liberal. The writer crossed over to the fiction genre---Nay, the complete fiction genre---about a police stop of some type.

I don't remember the details, but it was a similar situation where the Chief or Commissioner went to the tape for the truth and body-slammed the faker with the facts. If I'm recalling correctly, it was a blue-on-black situation. Or maybe not. Maybe there was one incident that was, and one incident that wasn't. The take-away is that, regardless, I'm not sure the writer(s) has/have ever been heard from again, LOL.

Journalism at its finest. Do you guys ever watch Live PD? Anyone watching that and not gain some respect for law enforcement and the difficult job that they do, is an idiot.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Commence with the Missouri jokes?
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast