Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Scouting Chat

Yes, I figure if I'm not finding rubs I'm just in the wrong place. But I have always thought it a head-scratcher that it can vary so much in the same area year to year. Maybe bucks get shot out more than I thought. I don't think it's a change in the land (year to year), or a sex ratio thing.

More land and more scouting are definitely a big part of the solution, though. Edge cover most often = too accessible here, though, on public land. You're right that that's the best place to find rubs with the least effort, though. Don't you think most of that sign is made at night, though? Maybe I need to look harder for rubs in the thicker, more remote spots. I don't think too much about building a hunting strategy around rubs otherwise. But thick + rubs has to be better than thick w/o rubs, right? Maybe I just need to be pickier and more careful about my thick spots.

Quote Originally Posted by DParker View Post

The woods around here just aren't tolerable (heat, 'squitoes, poison ivy, etc) for most of September, and are only marginally so when archery season starts the first weekend of October.

You probably can't kill poison ivy on public land seeing that it's an endangered species and all. But if I had a nice ground blind spot all picked out, it would be a shame if something happened to that poison ivy. I'm just sayin'.

I couldn't hunt until about mid-November if it weren't for Thermacells. They have a new and improved version this year, which I haven't had a chance to try yet. Quieter ignition, and works standing upright: two welcome changes.

As far as heat goes, a change of clothes and scent-containing bags are your friend. Quite a pain in the butt, and the best bags are noisy, but if I can make it to the last hour before dark the temperature isn't an issue any more for me. I'd still rather be able to watch deer from afar than try to kill one up close anytime I'll get drenched on the walk to the stand, but often that's not an option, as Luv2 says. So I might as well hunt, assuming I'm not burning a valuable area I'll need later on. But that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    Don't you think most of that sign is made at night, though? Maybe I need to look harder for rubs in the thicker, more remote spots. I don't think too much about building a hunting strategy around rubs otherwise. But thick + rubs has to be better than thick w/o rubs, right? Maybe I just need to be pickier and more careful about my thick spots.
    Well, the edge cover I'm talking about is 1-2 miles back in, no ATV's allowed. There are a lot of varying stages of clearcuts in our State Forests. So you can get back in a mile or more and find a 6-8 yr old clearcut that no one is bowhunting. That's my favorite location, an overgrown 6-10 yr old clearcut that's way off the beaten path.

Rubs are never hard to find there and the buck pics I get each Summer confirm that several bucks are making it through in these places each year. The rubs on the edge may be done at night, but what I'm usually looking for are trails that the rubs are made on. Those trails will lead back into the thick clearcut and eventually peter out in the bedding cover.

I try to spend time each Winter in the thick clearcuts, trying to find areas I can create at trail intersections inside the thick stuff. I've got a new one I'm going to try out this year, and another area that I'm wishing I could have gotten to.

If I find rubs on the edge of the clearcuts in these areas, I know I'm in business, even if the rubs on the edge of the woods were made at night. And since the hunting pressure is low in these areas, there's still a chance they may move around a little at dawn or dusk.

The problem is, and it's a big one, if the bucks know they're being hunted in those areas they will simply move to another spot a couple hundred yards away. So, I don't like to push things too much in the early season.

I'm learning to ease my way into the rut, then you can go crazy and do all kinds of stupid things, like hunt right over the bedding areas.

Right. I agree with all that. My public land spots are not that big, unfortunately, and are too accessible. And the the competition is on to my better tricks: bike in, boat in. I'm on the hunt for different ground.

You probably can't kill poison ivy on public land seeing that it's an endangered species and all. But if I had a nice ground blind spot all picked out, it would be a shame if something happened to that poison ivy. I'm just sayin'.

I couldn't hunt until about mid-November if it weren't for Thermacells. They have a new and improved version this year, which I haven't had a chance to try yet. Quieter ignition, and works standing upright: two welcome changes.
    They're the only thing that makes it possible to hunt in early October here too.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

I was thinking when I wrote that, "How the heck did I survive before Thermacells came along?" and then I remembered I didn't used to do half the hunting I do now any earlier than mid October and early November before Thermacells were invented. So I probably survived more out of dumb luck than by great perseverance.

And it's almost never too late for mosquitoes here, LOL. I distinctly remember sitting in a pine tree in late November one year about 30 years ago, and the two mosquitoes that were going to make it to Christmas no matter if we had a nuclear holocaust found me. They made my afternoon quite the adventure.

...Classic

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345