Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: I'm crazy...I'll do it...don't try to stop me

I don't know if most butchers have their own vacuum sealing machines or not. Maybe you'd have to find a specialty shop or a game processsor for this, but can you talk your butcher into injecting the meat for you before he vacs it, or waiting to wrap it until you've injected it yourself when you pick it up?

I'm gonna guess you don't want to inject meat and then freeze it, so this would all have to be done fresh?

Quote Originally Posted by DParker View Post
    LOL. I know you'd give me grief for this.

I'll look for the Chupacabra rub and give it a try (even though my humble homemade dust is pretty good), but I'm telling you Billy...you've never had a bite of pork shoulder as tender and moist as this one. Besides, the whole point of this exercise was to see if I could use the sous vide as a way of kick-starting the cooking process for those times...like this one...where I want to smoke something, but just can't devote the amount of babysitting time necessary for a pure-smoker approach. And I'm here to tell you that it actually works.

If I can find some vacuum bags that work with my FoodSaver's tube attachment and are large enough to hold a roast that big, next time I'm going to take it out of the packaging it came in and try brining and/or injecting it with a marinade of some sort for extra flavor...then I'm going to boost the amount of smoke to compensate for the shorter time in the vault.

It's real simple, install a few ounces of apple chips in the compartment set SmokinTex smoker to 225*, put seasoned 10# pork shoulder or butt I coated with a heavy coating of Chupacabra rub in center of smoker, (closer to the bottom for even more bark) set dial to 225*, close door and come back 10 hours later and WaaaaaLaaaaa, best bark you ever tasted. If you're not going to be home just use a timer on the power cord. I discovered the rub salesman in a little café close to my house and tried it, hands down the best rub I have ever used or made, also there is a web sight, they also have a brisket rub that is good but I use the "chupacabra rub" on everything, it's also awesome on grilled steaks. I go thru a big container every month. I saw your post and thought I might stir you up just a little, keep cooking little Frenchman.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    I don't know if most butchers have their own vacuum sealing machines or not. Maybe you'd have to find a specialty shop or a game processsor for this, but can you talk your butcher into injecting the meat for you before he vacs it, or waiting to wrap it until you've injected it yourself when you pick it up?

I'm gonna guess you don't want to inject meat and then freeze it, so this would all have to be done fresh?
    Yup. I don't see myself doing any of this via a butcher though, since I tend to wait and get big cuts like this during good sales, and those almost always comes prepackaged. But that's OK...I think I've found the (or at least a) solution to my quandry:

Foodsaver Expandable Vacuum Bag Rolls

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    It's real simple, install a few ounces of apple chips in the compartment set SmokinTex smoker to 225*, put seasoned 10# pork shoulder or butt I coated with a heavy coating of Chupacabra rub in center of smoker, (closer to the bottom for even more bark) set dial to 225*, close door and come back 10 hours later and WaaaaaLaaaaa, best bark you ever tasted. If you're not going to be home just use a timer on the power cord. I discovered the rub salesman in a little café close to my house and tried it, hands down the best rub I have ever used or made, also there is a web sight, they also have a brisket rub that is good but I use the "chupacabra rub" on everything, it's also awesome on grilled steaks. I go thru a big container every month.
    Well, la-te-da...look who's cooking with a fancy-schmancy electric smoker with automatic temperature control! And I'm a city slicker?

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    I saw your post and thought I might stir you up just a little, keep cooking little Frenchman.
    "Frenchman"? Well, now....that's just hurtful.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

LOL...

That would make Billy....Bugs Bunny?

They need to make them large enough to fit a turkey...or at least a jake.
    Man is not free unless government is limited. Ronald Reagan

"So who's having sex with the hen?"

"Frenchman"? Well, now....that's just hurtful.

I have never smoked on anything but a Electric Bradley (crap) for two years and now a 1400 WWW.smokintex.com since 2003, best smoker in the world.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567