Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm crazy...I'll do it...don't try to stop me

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    Probably not unless you have some work done...

http://jokideo.com/wp-content/upload...me-600x357.jpg
    Hey, that didn't stop this guy from making it....

Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

I don't think I ever caught his show. I did see this a while back:

Do you miss Alton Brown's classic cooking show Good Eats? You're about to get more of it... and then some. In a live chat with fans, Brown has revealed that his previously hinted-at internet cooking show will be a spiritual sequel to Good Eats, but without the corporate limits that kept him from cooking certain meals or exploring techniques while on TV. He may cook rabbit, for example, or work with sous vides -- those just weren't options on the Food Network, Brown says.

As a sign of the change in direction, the chef spent most of his chat soliciting ideas from fans. You could see him cooking with only a microwave, trying Hawaiian food or making poutine. He even floated the idea of making a Brunswick stew with squirrel meat. The internet-only show won't debut until sometime in 2017, but it's already evident that Brown plans to take full advantage of his online freedom -- this won't be sanitized for the sake of nervous broadcasters. https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/30/...-cooking-show/

[Emphasis mine.]

Yeah, squirrel in Brunswick stew is INSANE!---

(That's what real Brunswick stew is, ya morons!)

I don't think I ever caught his show.
    It was great. Some of the attempts at humor were...well...just goofy. But the pop culture references were usually fun..and the episode on scallops where they played on the Captain Quint character from Jaws was a classic:

"You go in the cage. Cage goes in the water. Scallop's in the water. Our scallop. Fare well and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies...."

But it was an excellent show because, if you paid attention, you learned the relevant scientific principles involved in cooking, presented in layman's terms. So rather than just blindly following recipes, or hearing nonsense explanations from cooking show personalities who don't actually know what they're talking about, you actually learned WHY things happen the way they do, allowing you to make at least semi-informed decisions when coming up with concoctions of your own. My kids and I watched every episode.

As a sign of the change in direction, the chef spent most of his chat soliciting ideas from fans. You could see him cooking with only a microwave, trying Hawaiian food or making poutine. He even floated the idea of making a Brunswick stew with squirrel meat. The internet-only show won't debut until sometime in 2017, but it's already evident that Brown plans to take full advantage of his online freedom -- this won't be sanitized for the sake of nervous broadcasters. https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/30/...-cooking-show/
    That's awesome. I knew about the internet-based revival, but was unaware of the restrictions that the The Food Network had placed on him. One of the things I never understood was, knowing that AB is no bleeding-heart liberal, why did he never do a show on cooking game meats? (He did do one with a synopsis that spoke about preparing "game", but it turned out to be Cornish "Game" Hen...a major disappointment). Hopefully he'll be able to do much more interesting stuff now.
    - Diemon Dave

Yeah, I might have to go looking for it.

I wonder what the deal with sous vides was? Not a sponsored product?

Yeah, I might have to go looking for it.

I wonder what the deal with sous vides was? Not a sponsored product?
    I suspect that wasn't actually a network-imposed restriction, but rather a result of the fact that practical and affordable commercial sous vide cookers for the home kitchen weren't readily available when Good Eats was being produced, which filmed its last episode in early 2011. As such, it wouldn't have made any sense to devote an episode to a technique that couldn't be effectively implemented by the average home chef.
    - Diemon Dave

Ah! Makes sense.

Well, the wife just got home and sent me a message to let me know that the pork is still properly immersed and that the Anova is reading a perfect 165F. So far...so good....
    - Diemon Dave

Yeah, but you left the toilet seat up again, didn't you?

Also, get milk.

Yeah, but you left the toilet seat up again, didn't you?

Also, get milk.
    LOL! Not this time. It was just a quick status report with no complaints about anything.

Now that you mention it....that is a bit suspicious. Maybe I should work late tonight.
    - Diemon Dave

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast