Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Smokin' Breasts

Thanks! I'd appreciate it!

Think twice DP before exposing your recipe to literally ones of people.
    I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Progress report:

The marinade turned out to be more of a four-or almost five-hour marinade since I got distracted on a long phone call with Verizon, which also messed up my fire control. I had the cooker up at 325 or so but it dropped down to maybe 250-275 by the time I got the chicken on, and then I cranked it again, then it dropped again (Did I mention a looong phone call?) and then I cranked it again.

So basically I can't tell you anything about my fire...LOL...Except that I wasn't drinking and it was one of those rare occasions when I had coals left over at the end, which I used to cook some pork loin chops for sammiches for the weekend.

However, I must have done something right with the chicken because the one breast I ate last night was very juicy. I'll have the second one for supper tonight. The first one I marinated, and for science, I only basted the second one for comparison. If it's much drier than the first, I will add that to my report.

The one thing I do know is that if I'd been on the phone with DirectV instead of Verizon, nothing would have come out right...LOL.

I wonder what would happen if you called Verizon while you had a roux in the oven.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

I have fire insurance for just such an eventuality...LOL

Oh...And the flavor was good. Just a plain smoke is too bland for me on chicken. I wanted to try it for cooking purposes, though, so now I know.

Since the skin texture is an issue, have you ever tried flash frying the chicken for just a minute after cooking to crisp it up?
    - Diemon Dave

No, I never thought of that, though I remember your flash-fry of chicken wings.

This could be brilliant. I think I'll try it next time.

Okay, so I take the split bone-in breast off the cooker. Let's assume it has a marinade or basting sauce on it. The goal is to crisp the skin, which is very moist at this point, possibly slipping off the meat.

Vote Now:

A. Throw it in deep oil in skillet skin-down. My skillets are not deep enough to totally immerse the whole breast. Should I bother to flip the breast after the top is done?

B. Sink the breast in deep oil in the Fry Baby or whatever it is that I have. I can get one whole breast in there, submerged. The dial goes up to 400, but I've never checked to see if I can actually get it that hot.

I'd vote for option B, just because I don't like to hassle with flipping stuff over in a skillet full of oil...and you get less splatter and mess with deep frying. Just be sure to remember to blot the surface of the chicken dry with paper towels befor getting the hot oil involved...unless you've been looking for an excuse to talk with that cute nurse at the ER.

And you shouldn't need an oil temp any higher than 400F anyway.
    - Diemon Dave

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast