Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: H.R.38 - Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017

LOL ...I was on "another archery forum" the other day and somebody had to explain that "FB" meant Facebook and "XX" meant the guy they were discussing (whose initials are XX, LOL). I thought that was a little overboard, but other much less obvious initials were flying around as well, so ...

What I can't stand is when forum members use another poster's real name instead of his handle. How am I supposed to know who "Jim" is? Is he Grizlyluvr48, or Whackmaster69? And why is "that A-hole who we all know who he is" talking bad about him on AFF?

He might build the darn-tootenist LRR north south east AAAaaandD west of the Pecos (!) but if I can't tell if I like how he measures HS or polishes his TG from reading his posts, I won't be able to stop by his shop next time I'm in the Big A.

Know what I mean, Vern?

Okay, maybe those training proposals will turn up later. Unless somebody beats me to it, I'll see if I can prioritize an email to Giffords, Schumer and Feinstein asking if they know where we can find some.

So on to Myth #3, which is:

Laws that make it easier for people to carry concealed guns will reduce crime. Every year, millions of gun owners and concealed carry permit holders use firearms defensively, thwarting crime and attackers.
    In busting this myth, Giffords helpfully points out that various studies may not agree. Strangely, however, Giffords does not address the concept that *your* gun may not participate in a study when it comes time to use it. In addition, the idea that "permissive concealed carry laws may actually increase the frequency of some type of crime, such as assault" is just laughable, but maybe Giffords was just having a bad day when they highlighted that.

Let's sit down with some different studies and hash this all out. We'll get the Giffords studies and the studies that indicate something different from the Giffords studies and we'll figure this out together. With the right statistics and some central planning, all things are possible. Also, we're confident that Giffords won't find correlations or infer causations or draw conclusions that aren't justified, because they never do that. I mean, the evidence is right there in their argument:

MYTH BUSTED!
    There is no credible statistical evidence that shows that weak concealed carry laws reduce crime. In fact, the evidence suggests that permissive concealed carry laws may actually increase the frequency of some types of crime, such as assault. One recent study found that states that award concealed carry permits to anyone who meets minimum standards experience 13 to 15 percent more violent crime than states with stronger laws. Overall, research confirms the commonsense conclusion that more guns create more opportunities for injury and death, not fewer.

Claims that firearms are used defensively millions time every year have also been widely discredited. Even when a firearm is used in self-defense, which is rare, research shows that a firearm is no more likely to reduce a person’s chance of being injured during a crime than other various forms of protection. One study suggests that carrying a firearm may actually increase a victim’s risk of firearm injury during the commission of a crime.

Few Americans believe the U.S. would be safer if more people carried guns. Just 35 percent of voters surveyed by a June 2017 Quinnipiac Poll believe that the country would be a safer place to live if more people carried guns.

Use the box below to discuss Myth Buster #3, or post your own studies ...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011