Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SMOKING HOT PICS (summer sausage)

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    Maybe I should ask BULLZ-i...

Bob's not here, man...

Maybe he is resting.
    I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

This definition /description is offered in as least subliminal way as possible...so by way of the Force - you dirty joke fiends pass on unmolested.

Resting:

The rationale behind it as it was described to me: It allows the proteins in the meat time to react with the cure and mixture so that the finished product has good texture. Once you start smoking the sausage and bringing the heat up (unless you're just cold smoking...but I don't know of too many people cold smoking summer sausage, and then heating after - that just seems like a lot of extra work to me) the protein extraction stops as the heat rises. So based on that I was taught to mix, stuff, then let the sausages rest for 24 hours, then allow to warm to room temp, and then smoke.

Okay, does the fact that I let the meat sit with the cure for several days with the cure count? I mix, let sit, then the next day mix again and let sit.

I just couldn't figure out why stuffing into the casing would require rest.
    I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

you always want to rest your sausage..right bullzi!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bob View Post
    This definition /description is offered in as least subliminal way as possible...so by way of the Force - you dirty joke fiends pass on unmolested.

Resting:

The rationale behind it as it was described to me: It allows the proteins in the meat time to react with the cure and mixture so that the finished product has good texture. Once you start smoking the sausage and bringing the heat up (unless you're just cold smoking...but I don't know of too many people cold smoking summer sausage, and then heating after - that just seems like a lot of extra work to me) the protein extraction stops as the heat rises. So based on that I was taught to mix, stuff, then let the sausages rest for 24 hours, then allow to warm to room temp, and then smoke.
    I think I would put more emphasis on the mixing and resting BEFORE it was stuffed. Just needed a little more clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    Okay, does the fact that I let the meat sit with the cure for several days with the cure count? I mix, let sit, then the next day mix again and let sit.

I just couldn't figure out why stuffing into the casing would require rest.
    - Yea, I don't think it really matters when that protein extraction occurs, just that it does. Although, I have read that some guys feel that allowing that cure to occur once the meat is stuffed is easier than stuffing casings with meat that has already set up...Again, I think its more personal preference than anything...kinda like whether or not to use a Butt-out...

Important thing is to just keep on making that sausage IMO...one day you'll be a God when everyone else only knows how to rely on the supermarket and superstore. (That's a joke...I think...)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345