Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chili con carne ahumado

Chili con carne ahumado

When the wife and I were at Costco buying the brisket I used to break in my smoker I also bought a 4 lb package of inexpensive "stew beef", which consisted of a bunch of smallish pieces of what appeared to be scraps from various cuts. Honestly, it could have been horse for all I could tell. But I wanted to see what use I could make of it, so I brought it home, vacuum packed it and froze it until I figured out what to do with it.

Last Friday I decided to try another exercise in combining cooking techniques, so I thawed out the mystery beef and...you guessed it...threw it into a 145 degree sous vide bath at about 10 pm, where it sat until my son and I returned from our hunt the next day around noon. I fired up the smoker with 1 chunk each of mesquite and pecan and smoked the cooked and now tender beef at 225 for about 3 hours. The meat was then cubed into 0.5"-0.75" pieces, cooled and put into the fridge until I figured out what to do with it...which didn't happen until this morning...when I got the urge to make chili.

I made it using the same recipe I've posted here before, but found that the smoky flavor of the beef took it to a new level. Damned tasty.

Billy, if you haven't tried something like this yet I highly recommend it.
    Don't go ninja-in' nobody don't need ninja-in'.
    - Diemon Dave

Sounds great but I can't afford a sue vee

Where are the pics? Some of us live through your experimentations.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

And why isn't crookedeye posting during Nebraska game?
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Sounds great but I can't afford a sue vee
    Well, yeah...I didn't mean that part. I just did that because I assumed the meat was tough and needed a long slow cook, but I didn't want to dry it out. I just meant using smoked beef in chili.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    Where are the pics? Some of us live through your experimentations.
    LOL! I'm glad I can serve a useful public service purpose. Unfortunately there was nothing new to show that I havent posted before. Vac-packed meat in a container of water, sous vide machine, smoker, dutch oven full of chili, yada, yada, yada. I just really liked what the smoky flavor did for the chili, and how the sous vide allowed me to turn cheap scraps of beef into tender meat for it.
    - Diemon Dave

It was in your cooker for 14 hours? I guess it was pretty tender.
    Zombie Response Team

I've had chili before with some smoked meat. It was excellent
    Zombie Response Team

I can think of another ingredient that would have made it even better...Never mind.
    Zombie Response Team

It was in your cooker for 14 hours? I guess it was pretty tender.
    It was...and not the least bit dried out. That gizmo is some of the best money I've ever spent on cooking goodies.

I can think of another ingredient that would have made it even better...Never mind.
    I did add a bottle of Shiner Bock, but I doubt that's what you had in mind. And...shame on you for it.
    - Diemon Dave

So it was fully done before smoking?
    Zombie Response Team

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast