Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow Harness/Holder

Bow Harness/Holder

I ran across this recently and thought it might be of interest to some. It reminded me somewhat of Bluecat's homebrew version, which I couldn't find pics or description of on the forum.

http://innovativeoutdoorsmanllc.com/black-claw.htm

Bluecat, do you think you could find it, or give us the details again.

Also, if anybody knows of anything similar that would not interfere with binoculars worn on your chest, please let me know.

It has the same principle as mine, however, I'm guessing if you lean forward in theirs, your string will slide through the little clamp and you could lose your bow. I'll see if I can find some pics of mine, if not I'll take some pics tonight.

It also puts the full weight of the bow above your torso which I'm guessing would be a little uncomfortable and/or awkward.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

Those two points are exactly what I was thinking, too.

I'm also skeptical of the clothing clamps.

Here is one option.
    Zombie Response Team

I write English not so well, but this thin string for sewing or fabric-making my funny wheel getickles. Baron von Schtupp

The green strap at the top (first pic) is tied together to make a loop and then a cow hitch (similar to a prussic) is made over a belt. The holds the bottom cam of the bow and the majority of the weight. It will accommodate any cam size of bow you have because you are making the loop.

The other pic is a small stainless steel s-hook purchased at an ACE hardware for under a buck. It is attached on another small strap and then run through the buckles of a harness. The s-hook goes through the d-loop of your bow. It is a safe way to carry your bow while on stand. Slip your hand in your sling. Lift up and the green loop falls away as you unhook the s-hook and attach your release. I can't think of too many deer I haven't killed wearing this. I normally have my bow on a hook but when I see a deer or during last light, I'll put the bow in this configuration which allows me to be ultra ready and wait for the exact moment to draw without fatigue.

What's missing is I no long use a typical harness anymore but use a mountain climber style of harness with no shoulder straps. I had a harness made for this purpose using seat belts from a junkyard and having a seamstress make me one. I don't have a picture readily available so will have to take a pic tonight if anybody is interested.

All of this was made with scrap materials I had laying around except the s-hook.

Your bow will not fall and is comfortably right in front of you. So much of success is waiting for the exact moment to draw and having minimal movement during the process.
    Zombie Response Team

Kewl....I'll look for the pics when you get around to them.

If people don't want to go to the trouble of having a harness made, a single strap around the chest with an s-hook in the front would probably suffice. I had the harness made so it wouldn't slip down, using the shoulders to arrest it (like a shoulder harness for a gun). I'll try to remember to take a pic tonight of me in the harness with a bow. I just always have it in my pack in case I need it. Light weight and always with me.
    Zombie Response Team

In regards to the binos. As this configuration is central to the chest it would probably interfere with a bino type of attachment. I have a small lightweight pair of Steiners that I have around my neck and then in my front pocket so it stays away from the bow attachment.
    Zombie Response Team

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    If people don't want to go to the trouble of having a harness made, a single strap around the chest with an s-hook in the front would probably suffice. I had the harness made so it wouldn't slip down, using the shoulders to arrest it (like a shoulder harness for a gun). I'll try to remember to take a pic tonight of me in the harness with a bow. I just always have it in my pack in case I need it. Light weight and always with me.
    If one uses a rock climbing harness, some makers make a shoulder harness add-on, which could be useful if one wanted to use it to integrate a bow harness. I'd check REI's website as one of the easiest places to get a line on what I'm talking about.

That would probably work too. What you are really trying to do here is just find an attachment point just below the sternum to attach an s-hook. You could also probably make a modified harness out of paracord. The s-hook is nice because if you bend over it won't come out of your d-loop. You'll have to physically take the s-hook out which is what you want.
    Zombie Response Team

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast